Thread: Finish for cherry kitchen and bathroom

Blog Entries

Finish for cherry kitchen and bathroom

I starting a build, kitchen cabinets, kitchen table top and bathroom vanity. All cherry wood. This is for my home. What finish should I use that does not require spraying, eliminate or at least minimize blotching and will stand up over time.

I've been looking at Osmo Polyx-Oil and Rubio Monocoat finish. These are flooring finishes but some use it for counter tops and furniture. Anyone have experience using them? What other product should I consider?

All the Best
    Curt

I built all new Kitchen Cabinets and used Cherry for the face frames and Raised Panel Doors. After i sanded with 120, 180 and 320 then I coated with a sanding sealer, light sanded with 320 and applied the stain. For the finish I used a Tung Oil that I wiped on with a soft cloth, did some light sanding after a few coats and applied the final coat. All together I did four coats of Tung Oil and its smooth as glass. I also did my girl friends Kitchen with Red Oak and finished the same way, both have excellent finish and lots of compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    I built all new Kitchen Cabinets and used Cherry for the face frames and Raised Panel Doors. After i sanded with 120, 180 and 320 then I coated with a sanding sealer, light sanded with 320 and applied the stain. For the finish I used a Tung Oil that I wiped on with a soft cloth, did some light sanding after a few coats and applied the final coat. All together I did four coats of Tung Oil and its smooth as glass. I also did my girl friends Kitchen with Red Oak and finished the same way, both have excellent finish and lots of compliments.
    I like wipe on finishes. I usually use a 50/50 mix of polyurethane and mineral spirits. Takes multiple coats though to get a durable finish.

Ed, curious why you would stain cherry. Granted one can stain any wood. Myself I like wood to exhibit its natural beauty, but if staining I would probably use a wood different than cherry. I am asking simply because it never occurred to me to stain cherry. Perhaps you have a lot available and it’s cheaper than buying something else.

A guy I used to work with was building kitchen cabinets. 100% cherry. I asked why not use plywood for the boxes. He replied he had the cherry, but would have to buy the plywood. So using cherry was the cheapest way for him. And it was for a rental property to boot...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!