Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Filtration

Air Filtration

My shop is 24x24. Major product is acoustic guitars. Lots of dust! Was thinking of this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-3-Speed/G0738

THoughts? Pretty much same as Shopfox and Jet. Want two of them.

Mike

I've got two older units, slightly larger, 12"x24" filter opening size in a 24'x28' shop. They definitely help clean the air. I didn't think a second one would help much, but I ended up inheriting one and mounted it on the other side of the shop (opposite direction so it circulates the same way). Amazingly enough it seems to help clear the air about twice as fast.

I have the jet version in a basement shop, and was amazed at how much of a difference it made, particularly in the amount of dust upstairs in the house.

I installed that Grizzly model in my garage shop about 4 months ago and am surprised how well it works.

Save yourself a few and get the wen, Looks identical,
    https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3410-3-Sp...s%2C160&sr=8-1

i have one and works pretty good, my shop is 24’x24’x9’ - 2 would be better

mine is 24’ x 24’ x 9’

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OMelia View Post
    My shop is 24x24. Major product is acoustic guitars. Lots of dust! Was thinking of this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-3-Speed/G0738

THoughts? Pretty much same as Shopfox and Jet. Want two of them.

Mike

I have the Jet AFS-1000B in my 18x22 shop and it works great.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I suppose you could run the return air over a burner to flare off the VOC's. Some people here say there is no need to vent a gas heater so you should be fine. Do not contact me if you die of CO poisoning.
    Bil lD.

so u all saying, go for it?

I too have the Jet AFS-1000B which has about twice the airflow as the Grizzly you are looking at.
    (550/702/1044 vs 260/362/407)

Im sure the Grizzly will work fine but it may take a long time to clean the air, especially in a shop as large as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    I too have the Jet AFS-1000B which has about twice the airflow as the Grizzly you are looking at.
    (550/702/1044 vs 260/362/407)

Im sure the Grizzly will work fine but it may take a long time to clean the air, especially in a shop as large as yours.
    Huh, I thought they had the same stats.

OK, gonna buy the Jet AFS 1000B. Keeps coming up positive in reviews for my shop size. Only negative I found was a sensitivity to fluorescent lights (could turn itself on). I have LED. Hope that makes a diff.

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OMelia View Post
    OK, gonna buy the Jet AFS 1000B. Keeps coming up positive in reviews for my shop size. Only negative I found was a sensitivity to fluorescent lights (could turn itself on). I have LED. Hope that makes a diff.
    I have the Jet.
    Air filters like these slowly circulate the air in the shop, nice for cleaning dust from the air, especially while you are out of the shop for a while. I've monitored mine with a Dylos air quality monitor and the fine dust counts dropped nicely when I left the shop for a bout 30 minuted. Unlike a good dust collector with a pickup nozzle at the point of dust creation they aren't much good for picking up fine dust as it is created since the air movement isn't very strong. Could help some if you mount one with the intake end close to the point where fine dust is created.

The placement of the collector is important. The instructions recommend mounting it high near along one long wall for a typical rectangular shop, oriented to pull air from the the area where dust is created. The idea is to get a big circle of air movement going. An oddly shaped shop (L or T shaped or with alcoves) can have dead spots with just one air cleaner. The Jet, at least, can be mounted hanging from the ceiling in the orientation always shown in the pictures or turned 90-deg and mounted flat against a wall.

It might be helpful to mount the cleaners temporarily and trace the air movement with a smoke generator.

Once you decide where the cleaners will be, a electrical receptacles mounted in the ceiling are nice.

I just got a second one, non-Jet, sitting on edge on a little platform on castors to roll around. I plan to use it in the back room of my shop where I raise newly hatched guinea and peachicks - they generate a tremendous amount of very fine white dust that settles on everything in the room.

JKJ

I have the Jet 1000B, which like Mark Daily stated is a higher CFM and it does a great job. I never measured my shop but it's maybe 24x24 or so.

If you go with Grizzly, the GO572 model has flow rate in line with the Jet but also has a larger filter surface area so it will be more efficient before changing the filter. The only issue I see is the primary filter is $20 and while you can most likely blow it out with compressed air outdoors, it's an odd size so finding one 3rd party might be more difficult. The filter is also 5 micron, which is pretty low and letting a lot of stuff get to the secondary 1 micron filter. The Jet 1000B uses a 12x24 inch filter, which you can get a standard HVAC filter, like a Merv 8 ($6.00 a piece in bulk) which traps about the same as the Grizzly filter or a merv 10 or 11 for a few dollars more a piece.

I thought about making one but it almost cost almost as much to by the squirrel fan than the actual unit.

I noticed the Jet AFS-1000B will be on sale at Woodcraft for $300 from March 6-16 (I have no connection to Woodcraft).

I bought one used and have been very impressed with it. I was thinking about picking up a second one as well.

Supermax also makes a nice one and it has a bit more CFM than the Jet.

SuperMax - 3-Speed Ambient Air Cleaner