Thread: Amana Tools Countersink with Depth stop - advice request

Amana Tools Countersink with Depth stop - advice request

I bought this countersink from Amana tools:

https://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-Co...41185794&psc=1

It apparently has a 1/8 inch drill bit. I bought it thinking that it would be right for my wood screws -- I believe I usually use a #8 wood screw.

Here are my questions:
    1. should I be using #8 for most cabinet work (with 3/4 in materials)?
    2. what size pilot holes should I use for MDF, PB, Ply, and hardwood?
    3. if you have experience with these amana countersinks, which drill bit/countersinks should I buy to use with this depth stop?

Thanks for any help!
    Ray

Blog Entries
    Typically I use #8 by 1-1/2" spax wood screws to fasten 3/4" hardwood together. Spax screws are much stronger than the older tapered thread wood screws. I prefer these now over the typical zinc plated wood screws you would buy from the big box stores. 11/64" holes are normally the pilot hole for a #8 wood screw in hardwood. For the spax screws I use a #38 drill or a 6/64" drill for the pilot hole. 1/8" should work fine for the clearance hole.

MDF requires a different type screw thread for maximum holding power. I don't work with MDF or PB, so I can't advise what screws work best.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks, Lee!
    I use quality wood screws, such as Ultimates, or screws sold at the woodworking stores. What I seem to have discovered yesterday is that various so called #8 screws have different shank / root diameters (the diameter of the threaded part, but the internal diameter, not the diameter of the outside of the threads).
    Last edited by Ray Schafer; 02-23-2020 at 1:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Thanks, Lee!
    I use quality wood screws, such as Ultimates, or screws sold at the woodworking stores. What I seem to have discovered yesterday is that various so called #8 screws have different shank / root diameters (the diameter of the threaded part, but the internal diameter, not the diameter of the outside of the threads).
    Yes they do. The Spax screws and Kreg screws have shanks that are smaller than the older style tapered wood screws. I think the #8 Spax screw shank diameter is about .101inches. They are also much stronger than the taper threaded wood screws.