Thread: Entry hall table for a niece: Part 9

Entry hall table for a niece: Part 9

The legs are on. I must admit to mixed feelings at this stage. This is not my style of leg, but it is what my niece wants. Perhaps I will feel differently with a finish on the wood.

The tenons were kerfed for a wedge ...

Installed in the bases ...

And glued into the socket. Note that only the first third is glued. The rear is free to move ...

The bases have been shaped to reduce their impact ...

The legs were evened up ..

Side view from underneath (one does not see the base otherwise) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I must admit to mixed feelings at this stage.
    It appears to be an excellent execution of a design you might not choose for your own hallway.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Your work is very well done. I have to agree with the leg opinion. When the top appears to heavy for the legs in proportion is the problem for me. I always think of the spindly legged creatures in War of the Worlds when I see it. If your table had a 1” thick top it would different.

The weight and proportions may work differently in use, maybe with a lamp sitting on the top, Sunday's newspaper, car keys, amazon boxes all around it, the cat asleep curled around one leg.
    I like the relief of the front end of the leg whatyoumaycallit to reduce the blocky look.

The leg-to-carcase join seems to have come out to a very well designed and executed conclusion from where I am sitting Derek. Strong, yet unobtrusive. Thanks for sharing the design with us and teaching me that a tapered dovetail works just fine with the taper along one side only. For those of us that were worried that Derek was burning up his Jarrah for secondary wood applications, we can see the less than optimal bottom piece in use. At this stage of the project, one sees a fairly simple looking piece of furniture. Non woodworking folks really have no idea what goes into the design and execution of something like that if it is to last beyond the Ikea five year life. Drawers next. Always a good stage of a project.
    David

Good to see the tenon wedges apply force to the end grain. The whatyoumaycallit’s (sliding dovetail wedged stretchers) could have been wider given that they are not really seen. The leg tenon leverage 1:30 ratio is unusual.
    Hard to judge it’s look properly without the drawers. Have you considered a little rounding of the end corners to tie in with the legs?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks Jim, James and Mark. Your re-assurance was very welcome. Lots of work and I start to have doubts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    The leg-to-carcase join seems to have come out to a very well designed and executed conclusion from where I am sitting Derek. Strong, yet unobtrusive. Thanks for sharing the design with us and teaching me that a tapered dovetail works just fine with the taper along one side only. For those of us that were worried that Derek was burning up his Jarrah for secondary wood applications, we can see the less than optimal bottom piece in use. At this stage of the project, one sees a fairly simple looking piece of furniture. Non woodworking folks really have no idea what goes into the design and execution of something like that if it is to last beyond the Ikea five year life. Drawers next. Always a good stage of a project.
    David, lots of accurate observations there. I use seconds or substitutes for anything that cannot be seen. The bottom Jarrah case panel is full of nail holes and pitch scaring. I patched a number of the holes in case anyone crawls under the case! (actually, my niece's FIL will do so as he is a very keen amateur woodworker and knows what to look for). The lower panel had to be Jarrah to link with the sides and top, which is the figured stuff (it would otherwise be evident at the front and at the side dovetailing). The internals were figured only because they were pieces of scrap finding a use.

I has always been in my mind that the table will end up looking like it came from Ikea (except Ikea do not sell Jarrah). The simplicity hides some of the most complex joinery one can use in furniture building: mitred through dovetails, bevels that meet at the corners, drawer fronts that are tight to the bevels, internal stopped dados, turned tapered legs morticed at compound angles (staked) without deviations from one another, and then sliding tapered and stopped dovetailed bases. Lipped dovetailed drawers to come. No doubt a CNC machine could do this in 10 minutes!

No one else may know, but we do!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    ...Have you considered a little rounding of the end corners to tie in with the legs?
    William, I did not. This would have made the table too much like the coffee table I made for my nephew, her brother (his choice of design as well).

Similar but different ...

Regards from Perth

Derek