Thread: Computer issue solved....

Computer issue solved....

Had the issue where my computer would stop working after 15-30 minutes. I looked and checked everything I could think of...without success. For fun I opened the case and found layers of dust all around the cpu heat sink. It had been a few years since i last checked. So much dust....it was hard to believe the environment is so dusty!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Had the issue where my computer would stop working after 15-30 minutes. I looked and checked everything I could think of...without success. For fun I opened the case and found layers of dust all around the cpu heat sink. It had been a few years since i last checked. So much dust....it was hard to believe the environment is so dusty!
    Do you have a CPU temperature monitor program? There are many, one could alert you to the need to clean.

Laptop or desktop? Last week I had the Dell on-site service guy come and replace some components in this Precision 7510 laptop and he found more dust around the fans than I had expected. Fortunately, the it didn't affect the heat sinks on the processors. I downloaded a temperature monitor program to keep an eye on things.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you have a CPU temperature monitor program? There are many, one could alert you to the need to clean.

Laptop or desktop? Last week I had the Dell on-site service guy come and replace some components in this Precision 7510 laptop and he found more dust around the fans than I had expected. Fortunately, the it didn't affect the heat sinks on the processors. I downloaded a temperature monitor program to keep an eye on things.

JKJ
    It is a desktop which up until a few days ago had clunked along without any problem. Then it would stop working after 15-30minutes with no indication the CPU was getting hot. I now have a cpu temp monitor in place.