Thread: Magazine delivery vs Amazon

Blog Entries

Magazine delivery vs Amazon

Why do magazine deliveries take so long to start? I subscribed to Hemmings Classic Cars and it will be 5 or 6 weeks before I get the first one. Yesterday I bought some glue from Amazon and it will be delivered today. Why the difference?
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    It is the ways of business and how they are organized.

Amazon is competing not only on price, but with the brick & mortar stores for quick delivery, customer gratification. They have honed this to a science and keep working at improving it.

A magazine publisher is working with a list of buyers that is likely locked in well before their publication date(s). They have to maintain their mailing list with continuing subscribers, renewals, new subscribers and those whose subscriptions have lapsed. They are not in a race to get a first copy to a new subscriber.

How would you feel if you just purchased a magazine, decided to subscribe and a few days later you received your first copy of your subscription and it was the same issue you just purchased at newsstand prices?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sure it is like Jim said.
    Most magazines are only 6 issues a year. Just the max time it takes to catch you up in the cycle.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Also, mags use bulk mail that in itself takes about 2 weeks.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott