Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Incredible Woodmaster CT

The Incredible Woodmaster CT

On the left is a 10" wide piece of walnut that I face jointed. On the right is a veneer slice from the same board manually cut with a Woodmaster CT 1" x 1.3 tpi on my 17" BS.

I know several of you get tired of me saying this but I well anyway. Blade tension was about 25 ksi. Deviation in the veneer thickness was less than 0.005" over the 4' length.

Some folks favor the Tri-Master, but I just can't believe the cut quality can be much better than the CT and the CT costs about $75 less. Maybe the Tri-Master lasts longer since it has more teeth, reducing the difference in $/ft^2 cut; don't know.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 02-21-2020 at 8:43 PM.

I see this instead of a photo:

__temp.jpg

Maybe now?

John

What is your saw? And what are the guides?

Nice veneer slice from that CT blade John.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What is your saw? And what are the guides?
    Grizzly G0636X; 5 HP, 4500 fpm. Stock roller bearing guides. I set them per the manual but really don't think they play any role in this.

John

Looks amazing, I will have to order one to try. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the woodmaster ct 1.3

This was a off cut where i was not concerned with cut quality I was just hogging off material as fast as I could reasonably push the stock through the blade.

20200221_213446.jpg

Wow, that is Just incredible John!
    That's quite the brick outhouse of a machine weighing the same as my 24" .

Out of curiosity how good of a cut can you achieve on that saw using a regular blade?I

Yeah, it's a very robust saw. Had quite an adventure getting it down the stairs into my basement shop. Never coming back out!

The cut quality from the Woodmaster C blades I use when not using the CT is not quite as consistent and definitely not as smooth. To help improve the smoothness I normally use a 2 tpi version. It's very curious, the CT blades are not affected by changes in wood grain, etc. like the C's are. The CT cuts at a constant pace and the sound doesn't change unless you hit a knot. With the C blades the pace varies even though I'm trying to keep it constant, and the sound changes with the pace. It sometimes gets a harmonic, for lack of a better term, and the cut quality is always rougher when that happens. Still, I have sliced a lot of veneer with 2 tpi Woodmaster C blades and can get 1/16" (0.063") after drum sanding if the slices are about 0.105". With the CT I can easily drop down to 0.085 - 0.090" and probably less if I tried. Sometimes that gives me an extra slice out of a board, but the real advantage is in less time at the drum sander, or not even having to drum sand it before vacuum bagging it onto a substrate.

John

That is a well tuned saw, a well matched blade, and the tension sweet spot. I run a Trimaster but only because i found several for half price. You can't do better than what you have. Thanks for the pics. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Maybe now?

John
    Yes, I can see the picture now. Very smooth cut.

I have a couple of Tri-iMaster, but they are 1/2"x3tpi. The cut is pretty smooth on my 18" Rikon but not that smooth.

What is Ksi? Does it mean 1000 psi? I set the 1/2" Tri-Master for less than 20,000 psi. Do you think I should use higher tension? I have a Starrett tension gauge.

JKJ

There always seems to be a lot of questions about guides. Once you have one of these, and a saw that will tension it, the guides don't matter much. It not only cuts smoothly, but so fast that it seems like it's a different type of machine, after using a 14" saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    There always seems to be a lot of questions about guides. Once you have one of these, and a saw that will tension it, the guides don't matter much. It not only cuts smoothly, but so fast that it seems like it's a different type of machine, after using a 14" saw.
    I'm going to guess the thrust bearing is not being engaged much with a wide blade at high tension like that.

I have wondered why Lenox offers that blade in both a 1.3 and a 2tpi.
    I have the 2tpi. Other than feed rate, what might I gain with a 1.3tpi?

John, that's an impressive cut. You've sold me for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...