Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Glidecote, Bladecote work?

Do Glidecote, Bladecote work?

I’m wondering if Glidecote (formerly Topcote) is better than wax for making tool tops slippery (such as table saw)?
    Is it more durable or slippery?

Does Bladecote (formerly Dricote) actually provide any benefit when sprayed on cutting edges such as saw blades, drill bits, etc.? It’s supposed to make them cut cooler, stay sharp longer, stay cleaner, etc. but can you really see a difference?

At $25 a can it’s not cheap.

I recently saw Dynaglide plus online and wondered if anybody has used it? It looks like it does the same as Glidecote.

http://multimarketingco.com/dynaglide-plus/

I cannot comment about Bladecote, but Glidecote is definitely noticeable on the jointer, particularly with 8/4 stock. Wouldn’t be without it.
    cheers
    Sean

Glidecoat is awesome love the stuff.

It totally works. It’s all I have ever out in my Martin jointer. I will say it does not seem to protect the tables as well from staining..

I tried a can of Glidecote and didn't notice any difference (compared to paste wax or T9). Maybe I'm using it wrong...

I have used both for years and they are helpful!

Jack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I tried a can of Glidecote and didn't notice any difference (compared to paste wax or T9). Maybe I'm using it wrong...
    That's my experience as well. The Glidecote is faster to apply, but also much more expensive. I'll use either it or paste wax, depending on my mood & how big a hurry I'm in.

Thanks everybody. I tried Glidecote back when it was Topcote on my table saw top and really wasn’t impressed.

Bladecote would be nice if it actually does what it claims.

I have used glidecoat but have found i get mor milage from Renaissance wax

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I have used glidecoat but have found i get mor milage from Renaissance wax
    Thanks Mark- appreciate the input!

Yes I wears off faster than wax.

But it retains the exact look to the casting from the factory kinda unlike wax. I appreciate this so the cost involved is worth it me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Thanks Mark- appreciate the input!

I use good old parrafin wax (Gulf Wax). Easy to apply and one box will last a lifetime (or close at least).

I rub the bar on the machine surface and follow with a rag to buff it on.

I don’t really notice a difference in the cast iron but I am not a connoisseur of cast iron, maybe regular ol’ wax has that effect. The one thing I don’t like about the spray is the fumes but I am a baby...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Yes I wears off faster than wax.

But it retains the exact look to the casting from the factory kinda unlike wax. I appreciate this so the cost involved is worth it me.

i did as well for at least 20 years until I started using the ren wax, much easier to apply and remove plus i believe the microcrystalline wax type offer more corrosion resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    i did as well for at least 20 years until I started using the ren wax, much easier to apply and remove plus i believe the microcrystalline wax type offer more corrosion resistance.
    The can of wax also lasts forever, and I use it on more than just tool surfaces.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks Patrick, Matt, Mark and Mike!