Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anything Woodworking related in Salt Lake City, LA or surrounds?

One thing that needs correcting.

Maloofs home and shop are in ALTA LOMA, not Altadena. Alta Loma is part of the city of Rancho Cucamonga. I-210 freeway, Carnelian exit.

Coincidently, that is one exit away from my (not famous) workshop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

another vote for the gamble house, and do not miss the j paul getty museum. best reason to visit los angeles, and it is free........

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    ... and do not miss the j paul getty museum. best reason to visit los angeles, and it is free........
    Maybe not best, but a very good one. But there are two, both worth the visit. Visit their website to get the details right, but the second, smaller, one is the Villa. It's on the coast between Santa Monica & Malibu. It has a reproduction Greek villa and houses the early sculpture & art in Getty's collection. (IIRC- something pre-Greek, Greek, and some early Roman. Art is my wife's thing, but I enjoyed it too.) The Villa requires reservations, due to limited parking & it's small size.

Craft Supplies does have some awesome turnings on display, and i'd highly recommend The Trolley Stop (i think that's the right name) for lunch in a small town just south of Craft Supplies--great food and the town is dominated by "Harley art" as one of their designers was from there. Also--pick up an old-school folding road map of Utah and follow some secondary roads instead of I-15. Much more relaxing, but cell service gets pretty spotty--as does electricity and buildings!! But...some beautiful country!!
    earl

I live just north of SLC so if you want to call would be fine 801-643-5526. Woodworking here is pretty poor. IMHO Woodcraft is poor, Woodturning Supplies in Provo has turning supplies/pens, MacBeth is ok for wood. Skiing is awesome this year. All resorts have lessons as well as rentals. Historic Temple Square is undergoing major renovation so don’t know what you could see. Down in Provo is Kirkham Motorsports - builder of the best Cobra réplicas around. A lot to do in Park City. See a Jazz game if in town. In St George see if Tuachan is open and then Zions, Canyonlands, Arches - too many to mention. Go 4-wheeling in Moab. Like I said - give me a call if you want.

Thanks everyone. Your input was very helpful and much appreciated. We ended up planning on spending a couple of nights in Zion National Park, a couple of nights in Bryce National Park, a night in Vegas and a final night back in LA / Pacedena on our drive from SLC to LA. Lots of nice hikes planned etc. We also bought tickets to see the Jazz play Pelicans on Friday night before we left SLC and had booked tours at the Maloof Residence as well as Gamble house as suggested, plus the initial 3 nights in Hollywood etc.

Then this morning the conference that my partner was going for was cancelled / suspended due to some flu going around and we cancelled everything (and lost a fair bit of non-refundable hotel reservations etc unfortunately).

Oh well. Not a nice feeling / outcome. Maybe some other time.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    Thanks everyone. Your input was very helpful and much appreciated. We ended up planning on spending a couple of nights in Zion National Park, a couple of nights in Bryce National Park, a night in Vegas and a final night back in LA / Pacedena on our drive from SLC to LA. Lots of nice hikes planned etc. We also bought tickets to see the Jazz play Pelicans on Friday night before we left SLC and had booked tours at the Maloof Residence as well as Gamble house as suggested, plus the initial 3 nights in Hollywood etc.

Then this morning the conference that my partner was going for was cancelled / suspended due to some flu going around and we cancelled everything (and lost a fair bit of non-refundable hotel reservations etc unfortunately).

Oh well. Not a nice feeling / outcome. Maybe some other time.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dom
    Dom,

Sorry your trip was cancelled. A lot of larger conferences and other events that draw large crowds are being cancelled or postponed right now due to the Corona COVID-19 virus that is spreading. Hopefully at some point you do get a chance to go on your trip, Utah is fantastic and the sites you picked are fantastic.

8. As a European transplant I can tell you to be prepared to be awed by the vastness of the American West. From SLC to LA you can drive for hours and hours and barely see any kind of settlement. I think people who have never been here usually underestimate just how desolate parts of the Great Basin really are.

All of these parks are heading into the busy season. There may be restrictions on driving in the parks (they will put you on a shuttle).