Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Tools Customer Support

Laguna Tools Customer Support

I have to laugh at my recent interaction with Laguna Tools customer support.

A few weeks ago the switch on my LT 18 bandsaw died. I tried calling them to discuss the problem but it wasn't during their normal hours.

I used their online contact form to describe the issue and asked them to contact me. They never contacted me about the switch but had no problem putting my email into their marketing database so now I get spammed with their sale information.

That would be normal of anyone with any sense of business and web design. Some may ask, some may regard any form of contact as a party interested in your product.

Its definitely a bummer that online support from many sources can seem to be a bit lacking as of late. Perhaps due to spam, who knows. In my opinion its always best to make your contact via phone when the company is open. Emails are easy to miss and easier to get lost in a queue that is very long. The customer service comes in to the work day with a huge email queue to sift through AND the phone starts ringing and all goes to pot.

Laguna must realize that they are costing themselves lots of business. Rarely do people have great stories about support after purchase with them. It was one of the reasons why I didn't go with the 18 BX. I like the resaw capacity but unlike the LT 18 the BX being made in Taiwan had higher chances of needing tech support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Laguna must realize that they are costing themselves lots of business.
    Laguna has ridden the love/hate roller coaster for years. Good followed by bad followed by good seems to be built into their business model.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If Laguna doesn't want to be in the market then they need to abandon the tools they are selling at hobbyist prices. I get that the guy who buys a LT18 is going to most likely be looking at it as an investment to make his shop produce more money while the guy who buys the 14|twelve is more likely to be a guy who is either retired or woodworking isn't his main line of work. But if they are going to sell the 14|twelve then they should provide the support needed. As for the OP that's not a cheap bandsaw. If his shop requires it to be up and running he may not be able to spend a lot of time during the day on the phone. Sending a note in the evening is a great option.

Two things:

1. Laguna should not have put you on their marketing email list for filling out a support request form. That's just not right.
    2. Having said that, I have to say that the phone support I received for a couple of minor issues with my 14BX was top notch. I think it started with a phone call, but the rest of the back-and-forth solving of the issue was done via email. Super helpful and they eventually solved the problem through thorough troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    1. Laguna should not have put you on their marketing email list for filling out a support request form. That's just not right.
    It's difficult to communicate with your customers if you have no way to contact them. Laguna saw a fork in the road, and they took it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It's difficult to communicate with your customers if you have no way to contact them. Laguna saw a fork in the road, and they took it.
    I don't understand your comment. They have a way to contact him, they have his e-mail address. I don't know what that has to do with sending him marketing material.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    I don't understand your comment. They have a way to contact him, they have his e-mail address. I don't know what that has to do with sending him marketing material.
    What would you like Laguna to send to him? Birthday greetings? A recipe for a really good way to roast a duck so that the skin is crispy? Let's be real here. Use your imagination.

Owner of 3 Laguna machines here. Only had to call twice and received prompt response both times. I will buy from them again in the near future.
    Laguna got a lot of bad press several years ago about their customer service and they improved their response to their credit.

I own two Laguna machines, and thinking of a 3rd. I only have been in contact with Laguna for the purchase of my bandsaw, directly from them. I bought a demo that was on display at a trade show that was never used. Not even sure a blade was ever in it. The interaction I had with them multiple times during that sale and post-sale questions I had were perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    What would you like Laguna to send to him? Birthday greetings? A recipe for a really good way to roast a duck so that the skin is crispy? Let's be real here. Use your imagination.
    Uhh... maybe email him about his problem and not add his email address to the marketing list?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    I have to laugh at my recent interaction with Laguna Tools customer support.

A few weeks ago the switch on my LT 18 bandsaw died. I tried calling them to discuss the problem but it wasn't during their normal hours.

I used their online contact form to describe the issue and asked them to contact me. They never contacted me about the switch but had no problem putting my email into their marketing database so now I get spammed with their sale information.

Pretty simple to submit a request to have them remove you from their marketing email list. As stated at the bottom of their Customer Service Request Form: "By submitting your private information, you are agreeing to receive information relevant to your inquiry. LAGUNA Tools does not sell or distribute this information in any way. You can unsubscribe at any time."
    David

14. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shattuck View Post
    Two things:

They surely did not 'put' him there as nearly all of such contacts are inserted into the database automatically. Could they write some software to prevent this? Of course, but I know of no company that does this.

I had a Resaw King break shortly after being put into use, and I believe I used the same online customer service contact form. I was happy with the service, they replaced the blade no questions asked.