Thread: A couple more Festool Kapex questions

A couple more Festool Kapex questions

I have been reading some reviews about the Kapex and there seems to be a small but significant group of owners who have had problems with the motors burning out.

Can anyone comment? Those of you who own one do you feel the precision, build, dust collection etc justify the premium price. I have a few Festool tools and in each case my answer would be yes but it seems not as clear with the Kapex.

Thanks

Head over to the Festool Owners Group (FOG) and you will be able to become well versed with the topic. The new version seems to fix most of the issues, but being new the jury is still out. It is a nice saw, and I own a bunch of Festool, but I wouldn't buy because I have stopped using a miter saw unless I'm cutting 2x material.

Thanks Brian that’s a good suggestion and helpful information.

I will tell you that festool is doing a promotion that starts on 4/1. At times I felt that the saw was slightly under powered when cutting some hardwoods. Overall it is a nice saw, light and accurate.

I live in Ohio do not own the Kapex.they have it on sale with new motor.i think it was 1109.00 400 off.the store is Hartville tool in Hartville Ohio.also free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I will tell you that festool is doing a promotion that starts on 4/1. At times I felt that the saw was slightly under powered when cutting some hardwoods. Overall it is a nice saw, light and accurate.
    I think the 4/1 date is also the date for the planned price increases from FT. I have seen one advert for a Kapex sale but it was the saw plus a portable stand. I think you essentially got the stand for free, or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Herrick View Post
    I think the 4/1 date is also the date for the planned price increases from FT. I have seen one advert for a Kapex sale but it was the saw plus a portable stand. I think you essentially got the stand for free, or close to it.
    You are correct on both accounts. In the festool world, it's a decent enticement if you are looking at the Kapex.

I'll comment.

Yes the motor issues are real. Festool's handling of the situation was deplorable at best. First they denied there was a problem. They still really haven't said there was a problem but between the lines there must have been for them to make a new saw with new motor " improvements "

And if a warranty is a vote of confidence from a manuf. , what does the same ol warranty as before say about their confidence on whether the issue has really been fixed ?

All that aside, the most expensive saw on the market shouldn't have these kinds of issues at all. And even if some did, those should have been handled swiftly and effectively so as not to start a pattern that the public is aware of. Instead we have what we have.

And while a Festool "sale" is extremely rare and nothing to sneeze at if you're in the market anyway - you might want to ask yourself why they are offering a discount on this in the first place ? Items that have great reputations/quality and people want, just don't go on sale. There's no need. The TS track saw never goes on sale. Nor do the routers.

I’ve had zero problems with my Kapex. It’s a 2018 model. For very thick stock or very dense wood, I do cut in a few passes. No different than any other saw I’ve had though. Always did the same.

Very clean cut on anything I’ve thrown at it. Dust collection is good for a miter saw.

Blog Entries
    Festool’s Kapex has crept into the price range of used industrial quality chop saws, and in that range I think something like the Omga is a much better saw. It cuts through the entire capacity without slowing down or killing the motor and retains the square position with a high level of accuracy.

The Kapex has a miter angle selector ring that is held down by a few 5mm machine screws with a small diameter head. I found this an enormous source of frustration. The screws don’t retain the ring well enough that it would keep from moving out of square anytime the motor was tasked evenly lightly and was made to struggled.

Festool was gracious enough to repair the saw when the motor died but going through the motions of having them ship me a box, ship the saw to them than wait for repairs all while needing to barrow a saw for everyday work was pretty annoying when one considers that it has one year of moderate daily use.

I rather prefer equipment in which I’m not beholden to a service department. That said, Festool’s service department is excellent, they are fast and professional.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have had mine since 2014. Im a hobbyist so i dont use it every day.
    Dust collection is better than most assuming you dont add a zero clearance fence/ insert. with those 2 added it still makes a mess. When I take the wood off the fence and use it as it comes it works very well.
    Does have a lot more range for its size than others,Pound for pound.(bosch /makita)
    It has held accurate with no tuning for 6 years now, though I do not move it it sits on miter station. (moved 2 times maybe)
    The angling of the head is annoying with dust hose connected and if you want to do a steep compound cut you have to remove the wings of the fence. Not a big deal if its free from the miter station but if its bolted down with auxilary fence its annoying.
    And for some reason the kapex blade doesnt cut through metal, Found that out the hard way.
    Overall I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Festool’s Kapex has crept into the price range of used industrial quality chop saws, and in that range I think something like the Omga is a much better saw. It cuts through the entire capacity without slowing down or killing the motor and retains the square position with a high level of accuracy.

The Kapex has a miter angle selector ring that is held down by a few 5mm machine screws with a small diameter head. I found this an enormous source of frustration. The screws don’t retain the ring well enough that it would keep from moving out of square anytime the motor was tasked evenly lightly and was made to struggled.

Festool was gracious enough to repair the saw when the motor died but going through the motions of having them ship me a box, ship the saw to them than wait for repairs all while needing to barrow a saw for everyday work was pretty annoying when one considers that it has one year of moderate daily use.

I rather prefer equipment in which I’m not beholden to a service department. That said, Festool’s service department is excellent, they are fast and professional.
    Brian the OMGA saws are radial arm saw arent they? Not sliding miter saws right? What price range do these they run? I do remember your thread from a year ago but dont remember the details of pricing and capabilities. I suppose I could research the threads but it is easier to ask you.

Blog Entries
    They do make radial arm saws, but I’m referring to their chop saws. I bought one used with a dust collector stand and didn’t post the pricing that I paid. New they list prices on their website, which are between $1800-$5000~ as I recall.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.