Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good quality steak knives?

Good quality steak knives?

I’m, looking for recs, I don’t need uber quality, but looking for something better than what you find at Target.

Thanks in advance
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

While I really like the very heavy ones that steak houses put on the table (Longhorne even sells theirs), the ones we surprisingly use at home are from...Ikea...and cost bupkas. Really. Whatever metal they used to make them just works, stays sharp and the serrations cut through whatever they are asked to. Lee Valley has an interesting option, too, with the Le Thiers Bistro Knives they sell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    My favorite one is labeled "Cook's Essential™" One the other side it is labeled "STEAK" with a box around the words "German Steel."

The full length tang through the handle is 1/8" thick. It was bought at an estate sale for $1

The other four have thinner blades and cost me $1 at a yard sale. They are actually much better than what we had before that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Cutco. Only cry once when you buy them, then get them sharpened for free or replacement for life!

Have had these for a while and consider them a good value. Work well and a pleasure to use. Sharpening may not be possible due to the type of serration but I don't expect that to be a problem for the amount of use they will see.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GQJP39..._OR0tEb2W6AZ18
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I bought Longhorn's knives, the best I remember they were on a Fathers Day Special, don't remember exact cost, very good quality.
    Last edited by Don Coffman; 02-21-2020 at 8:21 AM.

Victoronix. The ones who make the Swiss Army Knives.

Put your money into better quality steaks and you won't care so much about having good quality knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Coffman View Post
    I bought Longhorn's knives, the best I remember they were on a Fathers Day Special, don't remember exact cost, very good quality.
    That's good to hear. I only noticed them selling them recently and know they are the type I like physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Put your money into better quality steaks and you won't care so much about having good quality knives.
    Now that's a very true statement. Really good meat cooked correctly is like...butta... (I've largely moved to Sous Vide and sear for steak and thick pork chops)
    --

Thanks for all the info!

Jim, we had dinner last night at Longhorn and I was looking for a mfg name on the knife, I didn't know you could buy them. I really like the knives but they're a little on the big side.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I’m, looking for recs, I don’t need uber quality, but looking for something better than what you find at Target.

Thanks in advance
    Dalstrong makes some excellent steak knives. Not cheap, but they will do you good, and they _are_ affordable. I consider them the middle ground.

I know you're looking for just steak knives but I'd like to chime in on this set I bought for christmas.
    So far I LOVE the steak knives that came with it. They are straight edge which was really hard to find on a budget.
    But I can honestly say I'll NEVER go back to serrated blades again. Handles are pretty heavy weight and feel good in the hand. Well worth a look and the set is affordable.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks for all the info!

Jim, we had dinner last night at Longhorn and I was looking for a mfg name on the knife, I didn't know you could buy them. I really like the knives but they're a little on the big side.
    LOL...Ironically, we ate there last night, too, before our food shopping. Yea...they are very hefty knives and feel good in the hand. But perhaps not the most practical for "everyday use".
    --

There is an aweful lot of low cost, low quality junk out there these days, from all over the globe. We have owned a bunch of it. Got sick and tired of blades separating from, or coming out of handles.
    I happened to find a company right here in the US, that makes, right here in the US!

Lamson Products, and they are only about 25 miles from my house. I was surprised. Their prices are not cheap, cheap, but for the quality you get, they are an absolute bargain.
    Still, fairly priced- not like the boutique knives made in Asia for super cheap and sold here for stupid money at all the usual upscale kitchen supply stores.

I have a set of the le theirs bistro from Lee Valley. They cut very well but the handle is smaller than I'd like. Also, being serrated, they can't really be sharpened. I had looked around for straight edge steak knives so they could be sharpened, found a set from Chicago cutlery https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutle...s%2C168&sr=8-2
    I love these things, and keep them razor-sharp with a small sharpener from Chestnut tools that I keep in the same drawer as the knives, pass or two whenever they aren't perfectly sharp. I have also found these to be great for food prep when I need a smaller knife. And only like $30 for 4!

Ken