Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good quality steak knives?

I ended up ordering a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be pretty well rated, and I didn’t want to spend a lot of $$. They will be a big improvement on the 20 year old set in the drawer.

Thanks again!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Also, being serrated, they can't really be sharpened.
    Some serrated knives can be sharpened. It takes patience and slipstones or small diamond files for the job.

My favorite serrated knives have one side without a bevel. If the other side is shaped in a way that can be worked with slipstones, sharpening is easy peasy.

Some serrated knives are made as if to be impossible to sharpen. Sometimes it is best to replace them if they are cheap or try sharpening them like a saw.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-24-2020 at 2:36 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Put your money into better quality steaks and you won't care so much about having good quality knives.
    I'd add that steaks should be plated sliced once they're done resting. Big steak knives aren't necessary this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'd add that steaks should be plated sliced once they're done resting. Big steak knives aren't necessary this way.
    Has anybody noticed that the price of beef has gone up lately? I guess monkey meat is going out of style in certain parts. Good thing I have a well-stocked chest freezer.

Just to chime in with the under represented team, I am in favor of second hand steak knives from Goodwill at +/- one dollar each. As Jim Koepke already pointed out, the ones with the serrations cut on one side and a flat bevel on the other can be sharpened fairly easily. At this price point using "any" small round diamond file for touchups and then a flat stone to get the burr off the other side is just fine _and_ most important to me, I don't put my good knives in the dishwasher. One dollar steak knives go in the dishwasher. M2c

I was in the same boat, looking for decent but not super expensive steak knives, a few months back and we bought KitchenAid KKFTR40B classic forged triple rivet knives on Amazon. Very sharp and price was right.

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I ended up ordering a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be pretty well rated, and I didn’t want to spend a lot of $$. They will be a big improvement on the 20 year old set in the drawer.

Thanks again!
    Meh, They cut OK – better than the old knives they replaced, but not by much. They have no body; they are very thin and hard to hold.
    I’ll start looking again, these will go to one of the grandkids.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I tell you, Bruce...the $5 set of four from Ikea we bought years ago are just great. Pro quality? Nope. But they cut well. We actually have two sets; an older one and a newer one, the latter having slightly heavier/wider handles.

IMG_7087.jpg

Here's a link to the current version:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/snitta-...lack-00287295/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I ordered a set of these last night: https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Kitche...ustomerReviews
    They're rated 5 star, FWIW. I'll order another set if I like them.
    April 29th delivery...

Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    April 29th delivery...
    That seems like a long wait.

Free shipping by camel?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

THose look nice, Bruce...a little heft there which is a good thing. 'Not surprised on the delivery date as these are not "essentials" which is what Amazon is primarily focusing on getting out the door daily right now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That seems like a long wait.

Free shipping by camel?
    Stuff still seems to be coming somewhat quickly, but amazon is blowing off the guarantees. Understandable.

LOL, LOML ordered some wooden clothes hangers yesterday, they’ll be here Saturday.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I ordered a set of these last night: https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Kitche...ustomerReviews
    They're rated 5 star, FWIW. I'll order another set if I like them.
    April 29th delivery...
    Straight edge is the way to go. Get a good sharpening rod and you'll always have a good steak knife.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I like Shun. Expensive, but wonderful knives. https://www.amazon.com/Shun-Razor-Sh...ef_=ast_sto_dp