Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotec Lens Replacement

Trotec Lens Replacement

Hello,
    Is there a goto place (Other than Trotec) to purchase a quality replacement lens for a Trotec Speedy 300 (100 watt)? From what I can tell it's a standard 2" lens. I see some on ebay but not sure if there a quality lens. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Mike

I've bought a crapload of Chinese lenses, they work okay but I've had issues with them making Cermark black, and most aren't very scratch resistant...

Many here will tell you II-VI lenses are very nice, and I've heard some mfr's use them. I bought one for my LS100 off Ebay about a month ago, came from China so I was wondering... But once installed, the Cermark issue I had (wouldn't go black, only medium-dark gray) totally vanished. Nice, black Cermarking now, and all other engraving is still good. What I don't know yet is longevity, but for $38 it's half the cost of a sheet of Romark so I'm not all that worried
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

II-VI are what come with it and what Trotec sells. I bought a couple on eBay and they seem to be legit and are a fraction of the price from Trotec. You might be able to find the holders on eBay as well, again, at a fraction of the price from Trotec. There is definitely a difference between them and the cheapo lenses Kev mentioned from China.

Thank for the replies. Defiantly would want to go with the higher quality II-VI lens. I think I found a replacement for the 2" lens on ebay (Chinese) - II-VI CO2 ZnSe Focus Lens Dia. - 19.05mm FL50.8mm for CO2 Laser Head - USA CVD ZnSe. Does this one look to be the replacement for the Trotec Speedy 300?

That's got the right specs so it should be the one you want.

sounds like the exact same lens I got for my LS100--
    iivilns.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    That's got the right specs so it should be the one you want.
    Thank you Gary, got it ordered.

How is this working out for you?

I just figured out the lens on my second hand Trotec Speedy 300/80 is damaged when I removed it to clean before using for the first time. Basically, the coating is gone in the center.

Trotec send me a quote for a new 2.0" lens at $395 plus tax plus shipping. I almost fell out of my chair!

Is the Trotec lens worth the money or are there comparable replacements from other makers.

I'm a complete newbie.

Thanks!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 08-11-2020 at 11:26 PM.

I've heard a lot of good things about American Photonics lenses. Made here in the USA as well. Give them a call, they should be able to assist you.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about American Photonics lenses. Made here in the USA as well. Give them a call, they should be able to assist you.
    Thanks for the referral. I will check them out.

I definitely want a high quality lens. I am not looking for the "Harbor Freight" version.

The case for the lens that came with my machine is marked II-VI Infrared and was made in USA.

Is this the lens that would have originally come from Trotec or is it a replacement? Do they sell directly or only through Trotec?

Remember, I am the second owner of this Speedy 300 and just trying to learn the ropes.

I want to do things the right way and appreciate the knowledge of this group.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe
    Buy the II-VI. It's what Trotec uses. BTW, in 23 years I've never had to replace a lens. Keep them clean and they'll last forever.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    BTW, in 23 years I've never had to replace a lens. Keep them clean and they'll last forever.
    Yeah, I should have checked it at the time of purchase. Rookie mistake. I found it after getting it home and going through the machine prior to my first use.

The coating is pretty much gone from the center of the lens. I'm not sure what would have caused it. Trotec support recommended replacing it sooner rather than later.

Two of the mirrors are pristine but the one in the laser head has a few tiny spots that won't clean off with optical cleaner and lens cloths. I'm not sure if I need to replace it, too. Any thoughts?

I would replace it. I believe you can get them from II-VI.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Any advice on where to purchase a replacement II-VI lens other than through Trotec?

I checked the manufacturer's website and couldn't find it.

It's supposed to be a 2.0 inch lens but the focal length on the box (76.2mm) is 3.0 inches. Weird, huh???

You can see the damage.

Thanks!

Lens.jpgLens Damage.jpgLens Top.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 08-14-2020 at 4:26 PM.

Just my opinion here, but it's been my experience that
    (a) Unless you're engraving money printing plates or some other type ultra-high precision things with these types of lasers, pristine lenses simply aren't needed, and
    (b) These types of lasers can't engrave money printing plates or ultra-high precision things anyway...

My opinions are based on the following--

This is the first laser I ever owned, it's a 1997 25w New Hermes Optima, which is a re-branded Universal. I bought this machine in 2001...
    optima2.jpg

This the original lens, it was-- and still IS the only lens this machine has ever had.
    This photo was taken in 2014, about a year before I sold it to my BIL...
    ulslens.jpg
    Note the coating is in horrible condition, and it can only be worse 6 years later...
    My BIL uses this machine daily to engrave wood boxes (pet urns) and small 3/8" x 1.5" nameplates for the boxes.
    This machine's engraving quality is still at least equal to any of my other machine's, despite this lens

If that's not enough, here's a side by side engraving comparison of 2 of my 80w Triumph lenses...
    Obviously the one on the right isn't in very good condtion, the one on the left is well used,
    but is minus the cracks and halo's of the right lens. The halo was caused by plastic smoke being
    fused to the lens during some long Rowmark cutting runs, until a wad of black crust was created,
    which overheated the lens and cracked it. I was able to clean off the crust with acetone, which
    revealed the halo...

lenstest2.jpg
    --so one day for fun I decided to see what, if any, difference could be seen with the engraving
    quality between a reasonably optically clean lens, and one with 3 cracks and a 2-colored halo...
    --to be honest, I was expecting a noticeable difference...

Each of these were engraved with a different lens...
    lenstest1.jpg
    -- enlarge this pic and examine both engravings.
    Personally, I can't discern any obvious difference between the two. I was expecting at least
    a LITTLE stray engraving caused by the cracks bending the beam. But I don't see any.
    They look pretty much like the same lens did both. And I'm not even sure which
    lens did which engraving! And considering this is .07" / 1.78mm high engraving
    done with a cheap Chinese 1300x900mm cutting machine, I'm more than a little surprised
    at how well a broken lens worked...

Lately I've been buying different lenses to experiment with, in particular I've gotten
    a couple of plano/convex to test against the mostly meniscus lenses I have. The plano's are
    supposed to be someone inferior to the meniscus lenses, but so far, I can't tell any difference...

In summary, I'll say that it's highly likely I'LL never spend big bucks on a lens.
    I'd probably just break it anyway like I did with the only II-VI lens I own
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter