Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trotec Lens Replacement

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and document what I ended up doing.

As stated earlier, Trotec quoted $395 + tax + shipping on a replacement 2" lens for my Speedy 300.

I checked with II-VI and they will sell me the lens directly for $227. They are now made in the "Pacific Rim".

Bruce Sunderland at Design Research Optics was highly recommended by another source. I spoke with him and was very impressed. He makes all his products in the USA. I ended up purchasing a mounted lens from him for $125 that meets or exceeds all the specs of the OEM lens.

This is his website. https://www.designresearchoptics.com/

Thanks!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 08-18-2020 at 3:04 PM.

One last question, please!

The new lens came in and looks great (to my untrained eye).

Do I need to verify that my focusing tool is set correctly for the replacement lens? Both the existing II-VI and new Design Research Optics are the same focal length (2.0").

If so, how do you go about determining the correct focal distance?

Thanks!

Joe

a ramp test-- I USED to use a long ramp with about an inch of tilt, then used the center of the best-engraved area as my focus point. But not long ago I was holding some aluminum next to the fiber lens to block the beam, I was holding it nearly straight up, and noticed the beam just barely blipped a spot on the aluminum when it came into focus, so I did steep-ramp tests on my fibers, and on my C02 GCC Explorer. I found that this way is much more accurate, especially with the GCC, I found the best focus to be about .040" closer to the work--

ramp.jpg
    This drawing should help- In the GCC I stood up a 3" piece of scrap just so it would barely clear the bottom of the lens holder. The sweep is only about an inch. Ran it at about half the power I normally run, and it only marked a tiny portion of the scrap. I started trimming a small piece romark until it fit the space between the edge of the lens holder and the mark. Been using this machine for several years now, and since I found the new focus distance the results are noticeable, especially with Cermark.

And it's a good idea to ramp test all lenses, I have two Ga-As lenses that are 2", and the focus distance is about 1/16" closer than my other 2"ers...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I agree with Kev but you might get lucky and find that your focus tool works well with your new lens.

I am including a pattern for focus tools. You may have to tweak the length a little to get perfection. Once you find it, make a couple extra ones.

Focustools.cdr
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-21-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

i have a trotec speedy 400. when you guys bought these lenses from third-parties, they don't come in the holders, right? how did you manage that? did you buy a new holder, or somehow swap the lenses in the trotec lens holder? thanks.

--- dz

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    i have a trotec speedy 400. when you guys bought these lenses from third-parties, they don't come in the holders, right? how did you manage that? did you buy a new holder, or somehow swap the lenses in the trotec lens holder? thanks.--- dz
    I had Bruce at Design Research Optics mount mine in a new lens holder. I think it was $20 or so more than just the lens. His mounts are machined aluminum but not "color code" anodized or marked for focal distance like OEM lenses. That wasn't a big deal to me.

My understanding of replacing a lens in your existing mount involves popping (or breaking) it out, cleaning up the mating surface, and gluing in the new lens with gel superglue. I am a total newbie so there may be an easier way. For me, the easier way was to buy a mounted lens.