Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-150 10 speed transmissions - any problems?

F-150 10 speed transmissions - any problems?

I've been a Tundra guy for 19 years, and it's time for a new truck. I've had wonderful quality with my Tundra, but the new 2020s lack a few features I like and they seem to gave fallen years behind in engines, particularly wrt gas mileage.

So, I decided to look at Ford F-150s since the supercab has the reverse hinged back door. I love that feature on my old Tundra. I test drove a couple today with the 3.5 V6 turbo + 10 speed transmision. I liked the snappy response. And the trucks seemed overall to be really solid and drove well.

However, I read last night that Ford is getting sued because of problems with those 10 speed transmissions. Not sure what the real issue is but there is no recall (yet). My question to the collective is if anyone has experienced any issues with those transmissions and can relate their experience?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Not Ford specific, but the 9- and 10- speed transmissions have been somewhat problematic for multiple manufacturers. Perhaps because of complexity, I don't know. While I know you appreciate that door thing, you may also want to check out the RAM. The 8-speed ZF transmission is VERY solid.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear that this isn't just a Ford issue. I wish Ford had mated their 6-speed transmission up to their turbo V6. I might have bought the truck on the spot.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

2 things
    drive a Ford Transit 350 at work with the 3.5 v6 twin turbo engine, weigh in at over 9000 lbs, all in town driving as in less than 10 k miles in more than 2 years. 11.9 mpg. Very fast acceleration when you get in to it. Very happy with this van. Does not have the 10 speed auto
    As for a Chrysler product I bought a lot of Chrysler,s over the years until had a PT Cruiser that had problem from the get go with warnings about airbags. long story short. In court Chrysler's lawyer stated it was my fault due to my negligence in not informing Chrysler that there was a problem. All work was done under warranty and afterwards at Chrysler dealers, last one even was turned down when asked for factory help solving the problem. Lost that case in court and approx 8k in repair costs had to be eaten by me. NO MORE CHRYSLER CRAP HERE EVER AGAIN. 30+ YEARS OF BUYING CHRYSLER PRODUCTS
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 02-21-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Honestly, Ron, there are similar scenarios with pretty much every manufacturer of vehicles...which is sad, but reality. At least there are other choices if one particular manufacturer doesn't sit with us individually. I've stayed away from GM for multiple reasons that while not exactly the same as you experienced with your PT Cruiser, were still pretty disheartening. Those combined with the unreliability that my dad experienced with his beloved Cadillacs just didn't sit well. All the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products I've owned have been exemplary, although I will admit, I hated the PT Cruiser we owned for a short time since it was woefully underpowered for it's very heavy weight. We're all Subaru now, but if I were buying a pick-em-up truck it would be either a Tundra or a RAM.
    --

yep. and my friends have had terrible problems with their fords. several pickups that have been to the dealer many many times over a short life. computer issues, front suspension problems, which were fixed with a full set of fox shocks replacing the factory ford at about 20k miles, water pump, and now he is trying to figure out why he is getting 20% less mileage than his father with the same truck. among other things. I really think it depends on the day the thing was made and how good your dealer service department is. I have a GMC and the dealer here is amazing. they are willing to do whatever it takes to get you going and fix things properly, and all with an eye for customer service. over 100k on it and some leaky hoses and a radiator, wheel bearing. The ford dealer keeps trying to swindle my friend, and they even scratched his door all up while making a repair and refused to fix it with out a fight. or they replace a part not under warranty and he pays, the problem comes back and then they replace the real problem under warranty.

just talked to him about the fuel mileage issue, and its back in for more coolant leaks. been at the dealer for 4 days.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 02-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.

A really good dealer service department can be make or break with any vehicle brand! That's a local influence to a purchase decision, even if the actual vehicle comes from afar due to cost considerations. Service departments are separate profit centers and some are good and some are not so good.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A really good dealer service department can be make or break with any vehicle brand! That's a local influence to a purchase decision, even if the actual vehicle comes from afar due to cost considerations. Service departments are separate profit centers and some are good and some are not so good.
    That is very true information.

Funny thing, I have had 3 fords in the last few years, the last was a 3.5 ecoboost and it was a wonderful truck as were the 2 before it. The service dept at this dealership is horrible and luckily I only had one issue in the 3 trucks. Now I needed a 3/4 ton truck 2 years ago to pull a horse trailer better so I chose to go with a GM, I'm not a GM fan by any means but I chose to go that route because my local GM dealer has a super good service dept. one of my best friends is the service manager so thats a big bonus also. Going on 2 years this truck has been back to the service dept 6 times, not the best truck but they take care of it with no BS involved.

If I were to go buy a new 1/2 ton truck I'd probably lean pretty heavy towards a new eco boost, they are super nice trucks.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

That is a ford/gm transmission joint product with slight brand differences.
    The ford trucks have the best brake controller for electric brake trailers. It can be added afterwards much cheaper then a dealer option. It ties into the main computer so it knows more then the brake lights are on. It knows gas and brake pedal position, engine rpm what gear you are in, road speed, and it pulses the trailer brakes if the antilock brakes activate. Of course it also has internal laser gyroscopes so it can measure acceleration speeds. It is based on the Technosha P3 stand alone brake controller.
    Bil lD

FIL just got an F150 but I believe its a V8 (drove it for a couple weeks here recently but never looked at the specs/motor). Has the 10 speed, know that because its all over the dash what gear your in. Only 20k miles so far but no issues with it at all. Was impressive getting between 19.8 and 20.5 MPG steady. Nice truck. Bit big and oddly I have a bit of an issue getting in and out (Im tall but not that tall at 6'1"+) having to crane my neck a little but 30 years in the construction world Im not so flexible any more which may be the issue.

Nice truck overall. All the gee-gaws make me pretty nervous but it was a very nice truck to drive for a few weeks while they are snow-birding.

Jim
    I firmly believe all company's have a bad product sometime. It is all in how they handle the problem that shows what kind of company they are. Chrysler showed me that they would spend the money to have 3 lawyers and the factory area man in court rather than to help the dealers fix the problem when it kept coming up. THAT is what I am upset about.

I have a Ford, General Motors, Nissan, VW and a Ram right now. The Ram was bought new and I will wear it totally out someday, the PT Cruiser was my ex wife's that got ran to over 200,000 miles even tho it cost more in repairs in the first 110,000 miles than to buy it new. We both really enjoyed driving it, even tho it was underpowered as you say.

Most vehicles are pretty reliable these days, but all manufacturers have had issues.
    Don't buy the first model year of anything. Consumers are the testers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    FIL just got an F150 but I believe its a V8 (drove it for a couple weeks here recently but never looked at the specs/motor). Has the 10 speed, know that because its all over the dash what gear your in. Only 20k miles so far but no issues with it at all. Was impressive getting between 19.8 and 20.5 MPG steady. Nice truck. Bit big and oddly I have a bit of an issue getting in and out (Im tall but not that tall at 6'1"+) having to crane my neck a little but 30 years in the construction world Im not so flexible any more which may be the issue.

Nice truck overall. All the gee-gaws make me pretty nervous but it was a very nice truck to drive for a few weeks while they are snow-birding.
    Are they still making their beds out of aluminum?

Blog Entries
    My 2005 F150 only gets 15 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Are they still making their beds out of aluminum?
    F-150 sports aluminum body and bed. Aluminum is getting used more and more for weight reduction which improves fuel economy and is a good solution when properly engineered. Aluminum has to be deployed like aluminum, not steel. When that's done, it performs really well.
    --