Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F-150 10 speed transmissions - any problems?

I have no dog in this race. But I happened to just read an article this morning comparing the big 3 half ton diesel pick ups. As far as transmission performance it said hands down the Chevrolet and it's 10 speed worked flawlessly. Even though it and Ford share the same genetics because they developed the basic transmission together. I'm not certain but I think it was Car and Driver. Ironically Jim it said both the Chevrolet and Ram weigh less that the Ford and neither use aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    F-150 sports aluminum body and bed. Aluminum is getting used more and more for weight reduction which improves fuel economy and is a good solution when properly engineered. Aluminum has to be deployed like aluminum, not steel. When that's done, it performs really well.
    With a bed liner. Clever upsell that bypasses fuel economy regulations. Try throwing a load of rocks or even a cord of firewood in an aluminum bed. Then again, it's a truck, it's supposed to have hickeys (but not the appearance of bullet holes or shrapnel from above...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    FIL just got an F150 but I believe its a V8 (drove it for a couple weeks here recently but never looked at the specs/motor). Has the 10 speed, know that because its all over the dash what gear your in. Only 20k miles so far but no issues with it at all. Was impressive getting between 19.8 and 20.5 MPG steady. Nice truck. Bit big and oddly I have a bit of an issue getting in and out (Im tall but not that tall at 6'1"+) having to crane my neck a little but 30 years in the construction world Im not so flexible any more which may be the issue.

Nice truck overall. All the gee-gaws make me pretty nervous but it was a very nice truck to drive for a few weeks while they are snow-birding.
    Hi Mark, I also thought it was a nice solid truck. I'm right at 6' and I also noticed it was a bit awkward getting into drivers seat. I wrote it off as being a bit higher than I was used to. But once in there was plenty of headroom.

That is great mileage for the V8 if that isn't strictly highway miles. I wonder what gear he might have in the back end. The F150 is the first vehicle I've shopped where there were 4 gear options. I assume the mileage would drop a bit as the ratio rises.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    With a bed liner. Clever upsell that bypasses fuel economy regulations. Try throwing a load of rocks or even a cord of firewood in an aluminum bed. Then again, it's a truck, it's supposed to have hickeys (but not the appearance of bullet holes or shrapnel from above...)
    I looked at a demo truck with 2100 miles while I was at the Ford dealership. Whoever had the demo really beat the crap out of the bed. Every panel had badly scratched paint. They obviously carried something very heavy. There was a dent in the bottom of the bed.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Hi Mark, I also thought it was a nice solid truck. I'm right at 6' and I also noticed it was a bit awkward getting into drivers seat. I wrote it off as being a bit higher than I was used to. But once in there was plenty of headroom.

That is great mileage for the V8 if that isn't strictly highway miles. I wonder what gear he might have in the back end. The F150 is the first vehicle I've shopped where there were 4 gear options. I assume the mileage would drop a bit as the ratio rises.
    Was a mix but there wasn't a lot of city driving in there (stop and go). Rural area so a lot of winding back roads. It was a mix but never went below high 19s but like I say, could be a V6 for all I know. My days of giving a crap about a vehicles specs are pretty much over. All I care about is if when the key goes in the hole it runs, the heat works (years in construction my back cant take cold), and the mileage.

I've had trucks, one ton dumps, 8mpg, etc all my life. I will never ever own a low mileage vehicle if it doesn't serve a regular purpose or make me money ever again. The 20mpg gets in a reasonable zone for that truck in my opinion and I'm sure the manufacturers have 30 40 and 50mpg trucks in their back pocket but are holding them close.

I would drive one of those 60mpg sneaker cars to save gas but I run ab ou it 90 miles a day minimum.

Blog Entries
    All I care about is if when the key goes in the hole it runs, the heat works (years in construction my back cant take cold)
    Are seat heaters a common option? My 2001 Tahoe has them and it is nice on a cold morning.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Are seat heaters a common option? My 2001 Tahoe has them and it is nice on a cold morning.

jtk
    These days, heated seats are common standard feature on higher trim levels and often offered in option packages on lower trim levels. Same goes for heated steering wheels. I wouldn't have a vehicle with out both at this point...I even use these features in the warmer times of the year sometimes for personal comfort and to combat joint pain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    I'm not as flimsy as Jim I guess as a steering wheel heater seems as pointless to me as a roomba or any other array of useless gaws. But yes. It had seat heaters as does my daily driver (Lexus 350). The remote start was a feature I liked that I don't have in my daily. The back issue is an odd one and even a short ride in a cold car can unleash a fury I would not wish on my worst enemy. This cold/back thing will put one into a state where you will either have your hand on the dial 911 button or be praying for death. I guess a similar scenario could affect the hands but I cant see it.

I'm glad we have jim here to point out all the commonalities and trim level options of all vehicles for us. Very handy.

Mark, I had an interesting conversation yesterday while we were doing the "long slog" of the buying process for Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Forester. Our sales person (who we've known for years and now have bought three vehicles from) said that it's not uncommon for customers to say "I don't want or need a steering wheel heater" but they stop saying that after the first time they use it on a cold day. It's one of those things that can grow on you really quickly. Is it "necessary"? No. But it sure is nice to have when it's cold or you have hands that have a lot of joint pain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mark, I had an interesting conversation yesterday while we were doing the "long slog" of the buying process for Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Forester. Our sales person (who we've known for years and now have bought three vehicles from) said that it's not uncommon for customers to say "I don't want or need a steering wheel heater" but they stop saying that after the first time they use it on a cold day. It's one of those things that can grow on you really quickly. Is it "necessary"? No. But it sure is nice to have when it's cold or you have hands that have a lot of joint pain.
    The 2 F150s I drove both had heated seats, and very effective ones at that, as I had to dial those back quickly. But neither gad heated steering wheels as far as I knew. ..Didn't even know that was a thing...
    Brian

I dont doubt any single option out there would be handy and welcomed at some point in time. Nor do I doubt there is an option a salesman wont tell you most people like. This truck had the trailer backup do-hickey/rear camera deal that I know for a fact I would never use as I can back up a 9' trailer with the mirrors at about as fast as I can run, longer trailer even faster. But it sure is handy to have that rear camera at times. I wish you could turn it on while driving (check your load if its low/behind the tailgate).

I just fear all these geegaws over time (the truck the FIL traded in against this one was showing issues with all sorts of sensors and push button 4wd, etc... )

Its just me.

If I had a gangsta roll in the bank I'd get the full load and trade it off every few months or a year but I typically run my vehicles into the ground and I hate vehicles in general so I tend to ride them hard and putem away wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I dont doubt any single option out there would be handy and welcomed at some point in time. Nor do I doubt there is an option a salesman wont tell you most people like. This truck had the trailer backup do-hickey/rear camera deal that I know for a fact I would never use as I can back up a 9' trailer with the mirrors at about as fast as I can run, longer trailer even faster. But it sure is handy to have that rear camera at times.
    The brains of small children are on acid 24/7. They think they're invincible, and will think nothing of standing behind a vehicle when it goes into reverse gear, and just smile and wave.