Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power cord size for 5hp table Saw?

Power cord size for 5hp table Saw?

Bought a delta x5 unisaw 5hp. Motor says 20amps on the tag. Looks like it came from the factory with a short 12 gauge cord. Thought that was a little odd. Maybe the same cord is used for the 3hp motors? Anyways, I went out and bought 25ft of 10 gauge wire to lengthen it since it was only like 4ft long and hooked it to a 30 amp breaker since that's what the general consensus seems to be. I suppose the 12 gauge cord would have been fine since it wouldn't be pulling 20 amps all the time. Opinions?

I am assuming it is 220 volts. Looking on the Home Depot website for the attached link it shows 15 amps for a 5 hp @ 220 volts. I am not sure about your specific saw. It should show in the manual what breaker is needed and what extension cord should be used. In any event I would make sure that the breaker is not larger than the cord and equipment can handle. I am not an electrician but you don't want the weakest link to be the cord.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-5-...L552/205112176
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Mine said the same thing. Then I looked at the data plate on the motor and it says 20.

20 amps is borderline for the 20 amp breaker. 10 guage cord is rated at 30 amps.

Assuming I am looking at the same Delta 5 hp saw the specs say 15 amps. 20 amps is probably startup amps and 15 is probably running amps. Just a hunch.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I have a 5hp planer and it calls for a 30 amp breaker. What's the difference? I didn't want to take a chance on popping breakers.

Breakaway amps for any motor is 7 times FLA which stands for Full Load Amps.

And a ten gauge cord on a 30 amp breaker is what I would use.

This is what the manual says for a 36-L336, 36-L352, 36-L552 or 36-L552LVC.

FOR FIVE HORSEPOWER, SINGLE PHASE UNITS
    The circuit should not be less than #10 wire and should be protected with a 40 Amp time delay fuse.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    I'd just a call a licensed and bonded electrician. Pay him $100 to come out and make sure everything is squared away. That way there is no missed sleep over it all. That's what I did for my 7.5hp!

Flexible cord has different ampacity than permanent wiring.

With only 2 current carrying conductors the rated ampacity would be 25 amperes......Rod

Oh I forgot about that. Doesn't really matter, that 10 gauge cord can be taken off and used for something else one day if needed. Better to over do it than to just barely do it is my saying. The cord will still work fine.

Can't find many electricians in my area that will come out for $100 Or even $1000. They're cocky in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Oh I forgot about that. Doesn't really matter, that 10 gauge cord can be taken off and used for something else one day if needed. Better to over do it than to just barely do it is my saying. The cord will still work fine.
    The manual for the saw covers extensions cord sizing also.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Flexible cord has different ampacity than permanent wiring.

With only 2 current carrying conductors the rated ampacity would be 25 amperes......Rod
    Rod, that 25 amp rating, ... is that for the 12g or the 10g?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

12 guage. He said it depends on the wire. Building wire is different than portable SOO and SJ wire. I was sitting there wondering why the factory wire coming out of the motor was only 12 guage. Well rod answered the question.