Thread: Making imitation Saw marks w rustic planer?

Making imitation Saw marks w rustic planer?

I am thinking of buying a Festool 484522 HL 850 Rustic Planer Head, Coarse for my Festool planar. I was wondering if I could use that to make a beam look like it has rough circular say marks on it. Start on one side of the beam going to the other making a large radius circle. Very crude drawing:Beam.JPG

And then beat it up w a chain and such to make it look rustic. Any thoughts on this idea?

https://smile.amazon.com/Festool-484...2-8774f30dc64d

I dont think that is going to give you the look you are after if I'm processing your drawing correctly. I'd be looking more towards using a saw blade to duplicate this look, possibly a skill saw? The head you are referring to is more for a face of a board, like a handscraped look.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

It can make things look rustic to varying degrees, depending on the specific knife choice you make, but it will not do "circular" marks like you show...the planer with the rustic knives is more of an imitation of hand-hewing. It does that pretty well, based on the one time I had the tool in my shop for a demo and played with the knife setups.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No need to spend a lot of money to achieve the look you want. A hand plane with the blade extended more than usual and a hand grinder with a wire wheel on it. I had a job where the client wanted a four sided rustic mantle. The hand plane and wire wheel works really well and you go light or heavy. Hope this helps

I suppose that this really wasn’t the look you asked about. My apologies
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 02-20-2020 at 7:23 PM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Usually they come from the sawmill with the marks on them and you have to do work to get them off. I'd just get my beams from a mill that uses a circular saw rather than a bandsaw mill if the curved marks are important to you. At least in the east such sawmills are still relatively common. They will look much more authentic that way.