Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg router lift?

Kreg router lift?

Does anyone own or know if this router lift is any good?

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c41/r...n-router-lift/

2015AED2-8772-4A91-B537-B7321739E4BB.jpg

I’m looking for my first lift for a PC690. The Jessem master lift looks really nice but is out of my price range.

Any constructive comments good or bad are appreciated.
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 02-20-2020 at 4:03 PM.

I have one and I like it. Bit changes are very convenient and the lift works smoothly. The ability to make very fine, measurable height adjustments is very useful. Good value, in my opinion.

Wow! I just looked up the price of the Kreg lift and thought: What?! Why on earth would someone spend that much on the Kreg with you can get the Incra with the CleanSweep magnetic inserts for that price!? Then I looked up the Incra! Dang have prices gone up A LOT since I bought a few years ago!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Wow! I just looked up the price of the Kreg lift and thought: What?! Why on earth would someone spend that much on the Kreg with you can get the Incra with the CleanSweep magnetic inserts for that price!? Then I looked up the Incra! Dang have prices gone up A LOT since I bought a few years ago!
    That was my thought too; I'm glad I got mine when I did! I bought the Incra Mast-R-Lift-II-R (the '-R' version sized to fit Rockler tables), and like it a lot. It is made by Jessem, and is basically the same, except for Incra's tool-free magnetic insert plates. I like that there is no unique tool required to remove/swap insert plates, as is required for the Kreg & Jessem lifts.

The Kreg looks like a pretty nice lift, but I have not read any reviews on it.

Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Marinari View Post
    I have one and I like it. Bit changes are very convenient and the lift works smoothly. The ability to make very fine, measurable height adjustments is very useful. Good value, in my opinion.
    Thanks Pat- that’s good to know.

Haha- my thought exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    That was my thought too; I'm glad I got mine when I did! I bought the Incra Mast-R-Lift-II-R (the '-R' version sized to fit Rockler tables), and like it a lot. It is made by Jessem, and is basically the same, except for Incra's tool-free magnetic insert plates. I like that there is no unique tool required to remove/swap insert plates, as is required for the Kreg & Jessem lifts.

The Kreg looks like a pretty nice lift, but I have not read any reviews on it.

Andy - Arlington TX
    Incra makes good stuff but their prices are tough to handle if you’re retired and living on a fixed income.

Then I looked up the Incra! Dang have prices gone up A LOT since I bought a few years ago!
    Wow, this made me go look. They sure did!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The JessEm Rout-R-Lift II to fit a PC690 is value priced at close to half the price of the Kreg lift. I used it's predecessor the Rout-R-Lift FX for close to 10 years before I upgraded to the Master Lift II when I went with a larger router. The same template I bought for the Rout-R-Lift FX fit the Master Lift II. When you are ready for a bigger router you can likely sell this plate for 3/4 of what you paid for it Like I did my 10yo FX and upgrade to the MasterLift, Incra or Kreg. A good lift taken care of holds its value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    The JessEm Rout-R-Lift II to fit a PC690 is value priced at close to half the price of the Kreg lift. I used it's predecessor the Rout-R-Lift FX for close to 10 years before I upgraded to the Master Lift II when I went with a larger router. The same template I bought for the Rout-R-Lift FX fit the Master Lift II. When you are ready for a bigger router you can likely sell this plate for 3/4 of what you paid for it Like I did my 10yo FX and upgrade to the MasterLift, Incra or Kreg. A good lift taken care of holds its value.
    Tom's point hits me where I live this week. I'm about to finish building a whole new table saw extension table for my new JessEm Mast-R-Lift II. I needed a new table because my trusty 20-year-old extension has a router-plate recess that fits my old Rousseau plate, but NOT the sizes that seem to be standard today: 9-1/4" x 11-3/4" or the Rockler version, 8-1/4" x 11-3/4".

So, Mark, if you can envision yourself wanting to move up to a higher power router someday you can reuse your router table, even though you'll need a new lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Marinari View Post

+1 on that!! I have the Kreg installed in my Kreg router table and I think it is fabulous! Very precise, smooth, well built, and a pleasure to use.
    David

Maybe I am missing something with these router lifts but I bought a Triton plunge router along with a Kreg router plate a few years ago. It’s the 3-1/4 hp and was actually designed to go into a router table. It comes with the handle to raise and lower the router. Raise it all the way up, and the spindle licks for a one wrench bit change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Maybe I am missing something with these router lifts but I bought a Triton plunge router along with a Kreg router plate a few years ago. It’s the 3-1/4 hp and was actually designed to go into a router table. It comes with the handle to raise and lower the router. Raise it all the way up, and the spindle licks for a one wrench bit change.
    The OP has a PC690 so he appears to primarily be interested in a lift for what he already has.

In all actuality a lift is more flexible than the Triton plunge router in that a good one allows you to change to a different router if you decide to upgrade. My JessEm MasterLift II adjusts to hold practically any router made today or the past 10 or more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    Thanks Tom, I wasn’t aware of that. If I read the specs on the Kreg correctly, it will handle larger routers than the PC690 so it is “upgradeable” if I decide to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    +1 on that!! I have the Kreg installed in my Kreg router table and I think it is fabulous! Very precise, smooth, well built, and a pleasure to use.
    David
    Thanks David, I appreciate your input!