Thread: A couple of dovetailing tips

A couple of dovetailing tips

This is a cross post from WoodCentral, where there is a topic on starting the saw when dovetailing.

Most here are likely aware that I promote the use of blue tape in marking out tails, and a kerfing chisel for deepening the socket kerfs.

Blue tape makes it much easier to see the lines, as well as accuracy in sawing. Place the saw against the edge of the tape, and go for it. No need for "V" cuts

I have also written about blue tape to aid in registering the tail board against the pin board, which came out of compound dovetails at the time.

Deepened kerfs makes waste removal much easier.

Kerfing chisel: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...erfChisel.html

These three "tricks" add about 1-2 minutes to set up, but save several times this in accuracy, transfer effort, and waste removal.

I have just uploaded a short (8 minute) video I made in 2018 when dovetailing the compound drawer fronts for the Apothecary Chest.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek.

Instead of but similar to Derek’s homemade chisel, I use either of the two thinnest Veritas super hard card scrapers in a similar manner. It’s a technique I learned from a YouTube video but unfortunately I cannot remember whose idea it was.

Nudge the tail piece past the pin piece just a smidgen when marking - a weak 32nd or so depends on how hard the wood is. This will mark the pins slightly fat. Mark with a knife or preferably a sharp awl. Put your saw in the mark and saw out the pins. The mark makes a channel for the saw to run in. No more trying to saw beside the mark or split it on the waste side. It'll take a little experimenting to get it, but it'll be time well spent in the long run. You won't be able to do this and change the saw you use like fashion, but that's not the way of the craftsman anyway.

Cheers.

I saw the kerfing tool on your website and had been meaning to try that technique. A timely reminder for me, as I am starting on a set of drawers this weekend. Thanks for the post.

This works very well also

9E445A09-662B-40F8-B647-2506D1D55B06.jpeg

Olfa 167b "wide" saw blade and cushioned handle.

https://olfa.com/craft/product/wide-...e-3-pk-kb4-ws/