Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollowing Systems

Hollowing Systems

Who uses them and what are the Pro's and Cons?

Probably not in the market for one for a while, but these are something I came across on YouTube and have seen a few variants and would like to get feedback from those that have used them.

I've seen the following systems

Simon Hope system from the UK

Simple Hollow from Kerry Harrision

Lyle Jamieson System

Trent Bosch System

I enjoy making my own tools, so I made a variation of Captain Eddie Casteline's "snake hollower" using solid 1" square bar. I have a spare banjo, so I mounted the stationery end into the banjo. Alternatively I could have attached it to a plate bolted to my ways. I drilled the tool end of the hollower to accept the wide variety of 1/2" dia. tools that I had made or acquired. If I had to really reach deeply, I suppose that I could re-arrange the links or add a longer 1" square end piece. It works very well and was easy to use.

Typical pros and cons: Con: If you buy one, plane on spending $150 to 300. Pro: If you make one and have access to a metal yard, plan on spending around $40 in steel. Another pro: It works very well and was easy to use.

I suspect that all of the ones that you listed will do a decent job. The best? Hard to figure and perhaps it doesn't really matter all that much which one is #1 ?

I can't speak to the other systems but I have the Trent Bosch system and like it a lot. I like that it supports the tool but the tool is still on a handle as you would have in a freehand setup. It feels very natural while providing support against catches. Trent has been great to work with.

He offers a carbide option for the tips if you want it but I like to be able to sharpen the tips myself and can't see that as an option with the shape of the carbide.

I got the 3/4" stabilizer because you can use it with the 5/8" and 1/2" tools as well whereas the 5/8" stabilizer can't be used with the larger tools.

https://trentboschtools.com/

The Jamison system has many adherents on the Creek and I'm sure some of them will chime in as well.

Good luck!
    RD

All of those are good systems. However I believe the Harrison can only use a 5/8” bar. The others are 3/4” and larger. I have the Simon Hope system. My choice was basically a cost comparison. I have the Hope video system. Trent makes a nice system with a large video screen where the Hope screen is much smaller. I have hooked mine up to a large screen but I prefer the smaller screen as it it easier to setup. I’m not sure if the other systems have a video option or just a laser option. I definitely prefer the video over the laser and I do have both.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have a Kobra system and really like it - probably one (if not the) of the stoutest systems available. Few years back I picked up a like new used one. Don't even know if the company exists anymore. As I recall they never had a web page either.

Mike

I own a Gizmo hollowing system from JT Turning Tools and like it a lot. Unfortunately, it seems to be no longer available. I know a couple of people who have tried to order one, but have not been able to get a response from the owner.

A friend of mine purchased the Trent Bosch system and it seems to me to be a very solid system. I would add that the HSS cutters in the Bosch hollowing bars are held in place using CA glue. I use hollowing bars from John Jordan. Their cutters are held in place using set screws which I like better. I believe it is possible to use the Jordan hollowing bars in the Bosh hollowing jig.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Bunge; 02-19-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I have the Hope video system. Trent makes a nice system with a large video screen where the Hope screen is much smaller. I have hooked mine up to a large screen but I prefer the smaller screen as it it easier to setup. I’m not sure if the other systems have a video option or just a laser option. I definitely prefer the video over the laser and I do have both.
    I definitely think I will set up a video system, it seems so much easier to use than the laser systems.

Not sure if I'll use my old MacBook Pro or just try and go with a camera and monitor.

So anyone who has MacGyver'd a system together, I'd love to hear what components you used.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    ....... I would add that the HSS cutters in the Bosch hollowing bars are held in place using CA glue.
    Dave
    Are you saying that the cutter tip is held on the shaft of the tool by glue?

Currently the Trent Bosc system, from what I've seen on Youtube, is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've seen the following systems

Simon Hope system from the UK
    Simple Hollow from Kerry Harrision
    Lyle Jamieson System
    Trent Bosch System
    Chris,

I don't use a hollowing rig but have seen a couple of demos. The Bosch does seems good. Lots of people have made their own, too. It doesn't seem too hard, especially if you have a way to work steel.

Have you seen all those in action? If not you might check with local clubs - maybe there are some demos scheduled within driving distance.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-21-2020 at 7:36 PM.

Are you saying that the cutter tip is held on the shaft of the tool by glue?

Currently the Trent Bosc system, from what I've seen on Youtube, is my favorite.
    Trent does use glue to hold his cutters. I have his and John Jordans and like the Jordan cutters better because they can be removed. However the Bosch cutters work ok and can be sharpened.
    I’m not good on the camera hook up and is the reason I went with the Hope system. I did finally get my old Mac computer to work. The biggest problem for me with the Mac was converting the camera analog signal for the Mac. I finally did get a converter to work, but found I liked the smaller screen better and easier to set up. For me knowing the problems getting the Mac to work, I’m glad I bought the Hope video system. Trent offers a nice video system, but pricey.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

John Jordan is part of our Nashville Turning Club. I joined it back in January, but unfortunately missed the February meeting. Hope he doesn't mind being bombarded with questions when I finally get to meet him.

Yet another hollowing rig choice is the "Elbo". I have one and am happy with it. It doesn't appear to be as beefy as the other systems out there but it's also not as expensive. I have modest hollowing goals so it works for me.

Thank you, that Elbo looks good as well. I initially didn't like the way it connected to the tailstock, but found a video where someone used a MT2 adaptor https://littlemachineshop.com/product..., with a drawbar, to allow it to mount to that.

That one may have just jumped to the top of my list.

Another vote for the Elbo system. I use the flat plate lathe extension for mounting on my delta midi. My decision was made on price for a system that met my somewhat simple hollowing needs.

Thank you, that Elbo looks good as well. I initially didn't like the way it connected to the tailstock, but found a video where someone used a MT2 adaptor https://littlemachineshop.com/product..., with a drawbar, to allow it to mount to that.

That one may have just jumped to the top of my list.

Here are links to the video and the MT2 adapter. The adapter is a pretty good idea, I might try that out some day.

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=2394
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MJS1vJQ5g