Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollowing Systems

Check out the spin doctor hollowing system. https://www.theokspindoctor.com I've used one once. Kinda nifty. Might work even better with a shrouded Hunter carbide cutter (like the big mesquite sphere turner in TX if you've seen that video).

I McGivered my whole system. Articulated system inspired by the Kobra, camera system is a $10 inspection camera off eBay on an ancient laptop. Maybe $50 in the entire system, not including the metal lathe and mill. LOL
    hollowingrig.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-21-2020 at 3:54 PM.

I purchased the Lyle Jamieson hollowing system about 12 yrs ago and am completely satisfied. Never once have I had a problem and have turned wood down to as little as 1/16 of an inch with no problem. As to the other systems I have to plead total ignorance as I have never seen any of them in use. I am always open to new ideas and suggestions from others on this forum. Have a great day!
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

I have 3 systems including the Cobra and one I purchased from Dave at DWay tools. I also built one based on the Lyle Jameson type if you are interested in it you could jump over to my blog and check it out. I did have to get two small welds done bu a local shop, one to join the sections and one to hold the post for my camera and laser.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...hollowing-rig/
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I have 3 systems including the Cobra and one I purchased from Dave at DWay tools. I also built one based on the Lyle Jameson type if you are interested in it you could jump over to my blog and check it out. I did have to get two small welds done bu a local shop, one to join the sections and one to hold the post for my camera and laser.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...hollowing-rig/
    Thank you, that was very interesting. I've seen a few home made versions of the Lyle Jamieson system, most not anywhere near as nice as yours, but perfectly practical from a tool use standpoint.

I've been contemplating buying the LJ system ($455), but can't decide between that and the Trent Bosch, which is about $150 to $200 more by the time you add the cutters and laser support setup.

I have a TIG/Stick welder, that I haven't used in 10+ years, so I may have a go at making my own, the LJ system is pretty simple to fabricate the parts, the welding is my only psychological challenge due to my lack of recent use. My other thought, if I'm going to spend close to $500 on a system, I could buy a cheap MIG welder and bang my setup together or find a local welding shop to finalize the pieces.

I just bought a cheap CCTV camera and monitor yesterday for whatever system I eventually end up with.

Chris, If it were me and of course it's not I would make my own system. One of difficulties for me at least was to adapt any tool I wanted to work in my system. As I said I already had a Kobra and wanted to try making my own as well as being able to use the shafts that came with it. I sometimes turn quite small hollow forms and always though I wouldn't use a system to hollow them but it is so much more relaxing and when the camera system is added it just makes getting the thickness you want a no brainer. Best of luck!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Thank you, that was very interesting. I've seen a few home made versions of the Lyle Jamieson system, most not anywhere near as nice as yours, but perfectly practical from a tool use standpoint.

I've been contemplating buying the LJ system ($455), but can't decide between that and the Trent Bosch, which is about $150 to $200 more by the time you add the cutters and laser support setup.

I have a TIG/Stick welder, that I haven't used in 10+ years, so I may have a go at making my own, the LJ system is pretty simple to fabricate the parts, the welding is my only psychological challenge due to my lack of recent use. My other thought, if I'm going to spend close to $500 on a system, I could buy a cheap MIG welder and bang my setup together or find a local welding shop to finalize the pieces.

I just bought a cheap CCTV camera and monitor yesterday for whatever system I eventually end up with.
    Fairly certain a new welder will not give you instant skills. A cheap MIG is not a good choice for welding thick steel. A stick welder will do much better in my opinion.

It only hurts for a little while, buy the one you want and spend the money.

To me, asking what type of hollowing rig is like asking what type of bowl gouge? The type of hollowing rig depends on what size of vessel you want to hollow? Hollowing a vessel less than 10” diameter and depth doesn’t require that much tooling. But hollowing larger vessels requires exponentially greater tooling heft. I have owned the Trent Bosch “stabilizer”. That rig is hefty but still not near enough heft for large HF’s. I am not sure there is any articulating systems that are sufficient for large HF’s. For big stuff i think captured systems with big bars are king. I like Steve Sinner’s bars and rigs.

The interesting thing that no one in the wood turning world ever talk about because very few even know about it is... hollowing using a tool rest that actually goes inside the vessel.
    Most hollowing challenges come from the distance from tool-rest to cutter. But, by supporting the cutter only a few inches off a tool-rest that is inside the vessel you gain all the control you will ever need.
    The guy in Texas who hollows massive HF’s is a friend and a mentor. He hollows everything by hand by using this method.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    The guy in Texas who hollows massive HF’s is a friend and a mentor. He hollows everything by hand by using this method.

Cheers
    Be nice to get a dimensioned sketch of his inside tool rest. I've tried to contact him via the Dallas Woodturning club but got no reply from the club.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    The interesting thing that no one in the wood turning world ever talk about because very few even know about it is... hollowing using a tool rest that actually goes inside the vessel.
    Most hollowing challenges come from the distance from tool-rest to cutter. But, by supporting the cutter only a few inches off a tool-rest that is inside the vessel you gain all the control you will ever need.
    I have two tool rests that fit inside things with reasonably wide openings, such as boxes, one from Best Wood Tools and one from Robust. http://www.turnrobust.com/tool-rests/ (I removed the pin but it would be useful at times and can be reinserted)

These are not specifically designed for hollow forms but the same idea could be used to fabricate a custom rest with a smaller profile, keeping in mind maintaining enough strength. I imagine one with a curved top (S curve?) but without the vertical height of the support web of the J-rests shown on the Robust web site and intended for turning bowls.

JKJ

This is a great idea but I don't see how it would work for many of us who hollow through small openings. In addition I would be blessed to find wood that would be big enough for me to hollow that deep. I use pretty much free wood and seldom find anything of that she here.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    This is a great idea but I don't see how it would work for many of us who hollow through small openings. In addition I would be blessed to find wood that would be big enough for me to hollow that deep. I use pretty much free wood and seldom find anything of that she here.
    I wish there was a reasonable way to get some to you. I occasionally run into someone with big wood or have a downed tree on my property and occasionally have had the need to remove a large tree.

A friend once gave me wood from a 3' diameter ambrosia maple tree. It had been cut into quarters but I could still easily get some pretty big blanks from it, a few 16-18" long and maybe 14-15" in diameter of clear wood without the pith. There is usually plenty much larger for those who don't mind working green wood with the pith in the wood.

JKJ

This is on hold for me right now, I've started another major wood project that will probably last 2-3 months at my leisurely pace.

So no wood turning for a while, but I have now moved the Lyle Jamieson hollowing system to the top of my list. I like the captured tool idea and it seems that it will have greater/more heavy duty ability than I will most likely need, at least for the not to distant future. I like the idea of the torque forces, associated with the tool while cutting, mostly being captured and controlled by the front and rear tool rests, allowing more of a finesse control by ones hands.

So that's my reasoning, if I'm wrong, please educate me, thanks.

I’ve been using the Lyle Jaimeson hollowing rig for over 10 years. I think you have made a good choice.