Thread: Wedge through tenon - legs too narrow?

Wedge through tenon - legs too narrow?

I’ve got a 43” long walnut top I want to make a console table. It’s 1 5/8” thick and about 9” wide.

Plan was to do 4 through wedge mortises for the legs and a floating drawer I’m still thinking how.

I cut the 4 walnut legs at about 2” x 1 13/16”. Well after the jointer and planer the legs on the right measured with my calipers at 1.88” x 1.78” and 2” x 1.92”. These plan to be the front legs.

Are these legs too small/narrow now for wedge through mortises? Maybe just a single wedge of thats a in the middle of the tenon if that’s possible.

The pair of legs on the left a little bigger I think 2” x 1.85”.

I think this would be fine, although, I'd probably want to orient the wedge to be parallel to the sides, across the grain of the top, not with the grain.

Thanks guys. I also don’t think I need shoulders on all 4 sides of the tenon. Saves me some material only cutting the shoulder on two sides.

As for cutting the kerf in the tenon, would bandsaw be ok? Don’t I need to drill a small relief hole in the tenon so it doesn’t split when the wedge is added?

Bandsaw is fine for the kerf. Drill the hole after the kerf is made. The drill will follow the kerf .