Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Having tools delivered by freight truck?

Blog Entries
    This will absolutely vary with your access to your shop. My previous shop was in a suburban neighborhood with cul-de-sacs. The drivers often dropped the machines at the street but then pallet jacked the right into the garage shop for me and would never take a tip. For a particularly awkward machine the driver pulled the machine out onto the lift gate while at the street, strapped it down, backed the 40 footer into my little bitty driveway and lowered the machine right into the garage.

Caution -- For every story like mine there are two that involve "Cletus and Buford's white glove last mile service" that drops the machine off the side of the truck on the way to your house an d then tries to deliver it anyway.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yea I never could make sense of any kind of standard for the terms they use with shipping big machines, but ALL of the large machines that have been shipped to my shop were lift gated off the truck and pallet jacked right into my garage. I've never paid anything extra for that service that I can recall. Either shipping was included, or that service was included in the standard, lowest option price.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Yea I never could make sense of any kind of standard for the terms they use with shipping big machines, but ALL of the large machines that have been shipped to my shop were lift gated off the truck and pallet jacked right into my garage. I've never paid anything extra for that service that I can recall. Either shipping was included, or that service was included in the standard, lowest option price.
    It was buried or built into the cost.

If I give my broker a residential address, it's always 50 bucks more and it is usually put on a straight truck.

I bought a 60 gallon Quincy compressor from Lowes. Gonna go pick it up when it comes in. Trying to decide if it's better to load in the trailer or put in the back of the truck. I'll just unload it and use the forklift. That way I don't waste half the day waiting for the freight truck. I'm just concerned about it tipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I bought a 60 gallon Quincy compressor from Lowes. Gonna go pick it up when it comes in. Trying to decide if it's better to load in the trailer or put in the back of the truck. I'll just unload it and use the forklift. That way I don't waste half the day waiting for the freight truck. I'm just concerned about it tipping over.
    Leave it on the pallet, strap it down, go slow. I'm not sure it matters if it's in the bed or a trailer at that point.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Why are you worrying so much. The lift gate issue you had before, well, every time i've had a tool delivered, they put it in my garage for me, I had to get it from there to my basement shop. No big deal, just work out the issue and move it. People move heavy stuff all the time with the correct device and in the case of this compressor, this is no big deal. The air compressor you purchased doesn't show the weight, but a similar sized 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand is about 400 lbs. Nothing a standard appliance dolly can't move around, which are usually rated for about 800 pounds.

I have a long steep driveway off a relatively narrow but not terribly busy residential street. . Before March is out, I hope to take delivery of a new lathe (~500+ lbs in a crate that is probably 6' long x 3' wide by 4' high). The carrier is unlikely to want to bring their truck up my driveway, so I had been thinking to have the carrier to use their lift gate to transfer the lathe from their truck to my pickup truck in the street at the bottom of my driveway. But now I am thinking maybe it would be easier all around if I just go to the carrier's terminal (20 miles away) to pick up the lathe there. Should I contract the terminal manager to make sure that's something that would work before instructing the shipper to send it there?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    I have a long steep driveway off a relatively narrow but not terribly busy residential street. . Before March is out, I hope to take delivery of a new lathe (~500+ lbs in a crate that is probably 6' long x 3' wide by 4' high). The carrier is unlikely to want to bring their truck up my driveway, so I had been thinking to have the carrier to use their lift gate to transfer the lathe from their truck to my pickup truck in the street at the bottom of my driveway. But now I am thinking maybe it would be easier all around if I just go to the carrier's terminal (20 miles away) to pick up the lathe there. Should I contract the terminal manager to make sure that's something that would work before instructing the shipper to send it there?
    Virtually any freight carrier will happily hold your shipment at the terminal (it saves them a delivery). Once you get your PRO number just call the local terminal, give them the number, and ask them to call you when its there and hold it for you and youll come after it. It saves the headache of trying to transfer from the truck to a pickup as they will just set it on your truck. The only downside is often times you can get a TINY break for terminal pickup or if you paid for lift gate. The shipper may be able or willing to credit you back that money if they can get it back but the simple answer is picking it up at the terminal often times takes a lot of the chaos out of the process. No waiting for a call, no wondering what time the truck will show, no sitting around all day waiting. The shipment lands on the dock, they call you, you say I will be there on wednesday at my convenience, you unload it at your house at your convenience without the chaos of the tractor trailer..

Most often its just easier.

You'll want to check to see if the terminal has the ability to load into the back of a pickup. A full size pickup bed is still lower than a semi trailer. The UPS freight terminal near me has a forklift outside the terminal that can load into a pickup in the parking lot. I prefer picking it up at the terminal as it only takes them a few minutes to load it in my truck so it's on my schedule (not waiting for them to show up). My lathe was easy as the crate couldn't fall over so strapping it down wasn't hard. My band saw came standing up so there was a lot more risk to it falling over if not well secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    You'll want to check to see if the terminal has the ability to load into the back of a pickup. A full size pickup bed is still lower than a semi trailer. The UPS freight terminal near me has a forklift outside the terminal that can load into a pickup in the parking lot. I prefer picking it up at the terminal as it only takes them a few minutes to load it in my truck so it's on my schedule (not waiting for them to show up). My lathe was easy as the crate couldn't fall over so strapping it down wasn't hard. My band saw came standing up so there was a lot more risk to it falling over if not well secured.
    That's why I decided to order it from Lowes. It can sit there for 2 weeks if it needs too.

I need to figure out how to remove the gate from my trailer. All it is is pins welded on one side creating a hinge. I may just cut the weld with an angle grinder and replace it with a 1/2" bolt on each side.