Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making an outfeed table for table saw

Thanks. I have all that. What I'm pondering, is how to adjust the levellers from above the out feed table top, verse at the foot of the legs. I was thinking about using a pipe nipple to couple the height adjusters to a piece of all thread. Then I could just turn the all thread through a hole in table top. As the allthread rotates, it would drive the pipe nipple down, or pull it up - moving the leg foot up/down.

Or, I could just stop being lazy, kneel down to the floor, and use the levelling feet......

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I prefer the design by Laney Shaughnessy...
    I think Laney based his build on the same source I did: a Woodworker's Journal article (Feb 2009) by Chris Marshall. I'm also in a small garage/shop and I've been happy with it.

OFT.jpgOFT 2.jpg
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My version of an out feed table.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the design by Laney Shaughnessy, the table mounts to the back of the saw similar to April's design but rather than legs to support the back end it uses a sliding dovetail support at 45 degrees back to the saw base. With this design you can move the saw around with the table and it is unaffected by an uneven floor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s51gLEsCeY
    I made that one, just smaller and I felt the sliding dovetail was way more complicated than necessary. I don't handle full sheets, a half sheet is all I can handle in my basement shop. Old pics before I updated dust collection and extended the miter slots into the folding table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I made that one, just smaller and I felt the sliding dovetail was way more complicated than necessary. I don't handle full sheets, a half sheet is all I can handle in my basement shop. Old pics before I updated dust collection and extended the miter slots into the folding table.
    Can't tell from your photo, did you use an alternate to the sliding dovetail? I recall seeing a video of a better alternative after I built mine but can't recall what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Mine is nothing fancy, but it works for me as an out-feed table and my assembly table.

Don't know why my pictures get rotated.... Maybe somebody can help me with that.
    Pictures taken with an iPhone need to be taken in “portrait” mode- not on its side (landscape). Something about the site software not being able to “fix” pics taken in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    I almost forgot, I designed this outfeed table and sold the plans to Wood magazine back 2007. It jacks up to store over your table saw and turn you table saw into a worktable. I got rid of my version years ago as no longer needed to save space in my shop, but it is still a cool option for some people.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/video/t...eed-tablebench
    Wow- that is a great idea! I might build something similar for my shop. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

Do you know what issue it appeared in?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    This weekend's project is building an outfeed table similar to this design. I do not have the floor space for another table....

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the support legs into this hinged table. The legs need to have adjustable feet due to the floor's slope and irregularities. I thought I might use a combination of 1/2" pipe, all thread and threaded levelers, and build hollow support legs that would be hinged to the outfeed table. The goal being extended feet adjustment through holes in the outfeed table with the legs in position. Before I continue sorting through the details of this cobbled together adjustment assembly, I was wondering if anyone has built something similar?? I do not have a welder at the moment, so I am stuck using threaded connections. That's limiting my creative freedom here.....
    Check out the pics in the link in post 24. Looks like what you’re wanting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Wow- that is a great idea! I might build something similar for my shop. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

Do you know what issue it appeared in?
    Looks like #178 September 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Back when I had a cabinet saw, I designed an outfeed solution that had a narrower portion physically attached to the back rail of the saw with the remaining portion of the table hinged so it could be folded down when the tool needed to be moved or I needed the space for something else. There was no impediment to mobility and the surface was always coplanar with the table saw's top surface.
    i did what Jim did, built one attached to the back of the Unisaw with hinges. When not in use, its down. I only put it up when needed due to space limitations. Its just a flat piece of 3/4" plywood, nothing fancy, has worked fine for me for the past 20+ years. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Smith View Post
    Looks like #178 September 2007.
    Thank you- I have that one!

When I had a cabinet saw my outfeed table was a torsion box design with a melamine top.

It was hinged to the rear rail of the saw, with a couple of fold out post legs.

When not in use it was folded down and didn't interfere with the moving of the saw.

Blog Entries
    Not a fold down design, but an option to throw into the mix...

I bought a used drafting table that was constructed with steel frame where each of the 4 corners had height adjustment capability. I added a bigger top and adjusted each corner until I was happy with fit behind my saw. It's sturdy as can be, cost me about $70 total, and it was nice to be able to account for minor inconsistencies in the concrete floor.

In my case this is stationary, but adding some locking swivel casters could allow this sort of setup to move around the shop.

(edit: old pic before adding miter slots and upgrading dust collection in my shop :-) )
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Can't tell from your photo, did you use an alternate to the sliding dovetail? I recall seeing a video of a better alternative after I built mine but can't recall what it was.
    I presume you are speaking of my alternate to the sliding dovetail knee brace? Thumbnail pic #1 shows it quite clearly. Just a piece of ply, beveled each end with a ply stiffener. I start by lifting the table above horizontal, and wiggle the brace until it seats in the french cleats on the table and saw.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I presume you are speaking of my alternate to the sliding dovetail knee brace? Thumbnail pic #1 shows it quite clearly. Just a piece of ply, beveled each end with a ply stiffener. I start by lifting the table above horizontal, and wiggle the brace until it seats in the french cleats on the table and saw.
    OK, I see it now, thanks for clarifying.