Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making an outfeed table for table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    What's the purpose of this "torsion box"?
    It lets you build a surface that is flat and rigid, and stay that way, but is also reasonably light weight.

Blog Entries
    Nicely done. thanks for sharing that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mine is nothing fancy, but it works for me as an out-feed table and my assembly table.

Don't know why my pictures get rotated.... Maybe somebody can help me with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-19-2020 at 9:22 PM.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Mine's the same as hers, well was, but I used a piano hinge (because I had it). Most of the space was taken up by support pieces and the dust collection. Here's an old pic from when I was in the process of building it, you can see how it worked out. BTW, this was a quick throw together because I needed it.. supposed to last a few weeks before I made a 'good' one. It lasted almost 15 years.

Nicely done Mike! How deep did you make the fixed surface? Did you extend the slots into the folding platform?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Nicely done Mike! How deep did you make the fixed surface? Did you extend the slots into the folding platform?
    Thanks Steve, as I recall the fixed section was 10" deep, which made the thing just deep enough to handle 8' stock. I did not initially extend the slots, but did so about a month after I built it. For a temp build, it evolved several times which is kind of funny. I did finally get rid of it when we recently moved. Now, I'll build a freestanding one, but my shop space is significantly bigger.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I found that I was using my delta folding outfeed table way too much for assembly which got in the way of using the table saw. So I recently constructed a full size table that runs the length of the table saw replacing the folding one so I could use the extra space for assembly and also when breaking down sheet goods. I have plans to build 3 cabinets of drawers for under the outfeed table but I haven't started them yet. The outfeed table is attached because I don't move the table saw around in my new shop because of my permanent dust collection.

DSC03207.jpg

7. A pure outfeed table does not need to be all that fancy. It does not need to be all that flat even as it is just for catching wood. You get into the super flat design as people like to use them as assembly tables.

For me I LOVE having an ample outfeed table. I like to make sure I have around 50-54" behind the blade. Basically I want and 8 foot long piece of wood to be half supported after the cut. As long as more than half is supported it should tip.

I also a big fan of mitre gauge slots going into the outfeed table.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Back when I had a cabinet saw, I designed an outfeed solution that had a narrower portion physically attached to the back rail of the saw with the remaining portion of the table hinged so it could be folded down when the tool needed to be moved or I needed the space for something else. There was no impediment to mobility and the surface was always coplanar with the table saw's top surface.
    Ditto. I did exactly the same.

This outfeed does not need to be large - 12” long is large enough to support most work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I built an adjustable height outfeed table that is mobile:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2893550

I almost forgot, I designed this outfeed table and sold the plans to Wood magazine back 2007. It jacks up to store over your table saw and turn you table saw into a worktable. I got rid of my version years ago as no longer needed to save space in my shop, but it is still a cool option for some people.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/video/t...eed-tablebench

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    I almost forgot, I designed this outfeed table and sold the plans to Wood magazine back 2007. It jacks up to store over your table saw and turn you table saw into a worktable. I got rid of my version years ago as no longer needed to save space in my shop, but it is still a cool option for some people.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/video/t...eed-tablebench
    That was neat.

I designed an outfeed solution that had a narrower portion physically attached to the back rail of the saw with the remaining portion of the table hinged so it could be folded down when the tool needed to be moved or I needed the space for something else. There was no impediment to mobility and the surface was always coplanar with the table saw's top surface.
    I'm a bit hungover (celebrated my birthday w/three 32 ounce Coors Light at Red Robin last night) so I just copied and pasted what Jim typed - that's exactly what I did... .
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    That's the approach I intend to take with my outfeed table build. Could you elaborate more on your design? I was thinking of taking advantage of the space under the unhinged narrow portion of the table similar to April Wilkerson's design except for storage, e.g. crosscut sled, etc.
    What Mike shows is essentially how mine was designed. The plans I created are no longer available as I shut down the website years ago, but there are undoubtedly some threads here at SMC about it and various adaptations that folks have made over time. The fixed section on my unit was 12" and supported by struts that connected to a piece of metal angle attached to the back of the saw cabinet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Mine's the same as hers, well was, but I used a piano hinge (because I had it). Most of the space was taken up by support pieces and the dust collection. Here's an old pic from when I was in the process of building it, you can see how it worked out. BTW, this was a quick throw together because I needed it.. supposed to last a few weeks before I made a 'good' one. It lasted almost 15 years.

This weekend's project is building an outfeed table similar to this design. I do not have the floor space for another table....

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the support legs into this hinged table. The legs need to have adjustable feet due to the floor's slope and irregularities. I thought I might use a combination of 1/2" pipe, all thread and threaded levelers, and build hollow support legs that would be hinged to the outfeed table. The goal being extended feet adjustment through holes in the outfeed table with the legs in position. Before I continue sorting through the details of this cobbled together adjustment assembly, I was wondering if anyone has built something similar?? I do not have a welder at the moment, so I am stuck using threaded connections. That's limiting my creative freedom here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    This weekend's project is building an outfeed table similar to this design. I do not have the floor space for another table....

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the support legs into this hinged table. The legs need to have adjustable feet due to the floor's slope and irregularities. I thought I might use a combination of 1/2" pipe, all thread and threaded levelers, and build hollow support legs that would be hinged to the outfeed table. The goal being extended feet adjustment through holes in the outfeed table with the legs in position. Before I continue sorting through the details of this cobbled together adjustment assembly, I was wondering if anyone has built something similar?? I do not have a welder at the moment, so I am stuck using threaded connections. That's limiting my creative freedom here.....
    I used nutserts and threaded leveling feet put into wooden legs , and folding leg brackets (rockler, amazon, etc should all sell them).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut