Thread: What Size Thread for the Unisaw Arbor?

What Size Thread for the Unisaw Arbor?

I damaged the arbor threads replacing bearing and cannot get the nut on.
    Do you know what die size I would use to clean up the threads?
    It a newer model 36-L552 and nut is righty tighty.
    thank for any help!

Hi Orren,
    You could measure the thread pitch using a thread pitch gauge. You can buy one at Ace Hardware for around $8. I wouldn't recommend chasing your damaged threads with a thread cutting die, as this often times will end up cutting the threads deeper than you need and causing a loose fit with the mating nut. I would recommend using a small triangle shaped, or tapered file and repair the threads manually.
    David

20200218_203853_resized.jpg 20200218_203906_resized.jpg 20200218_203952_resized.jpg 20200218_203924_resized.jpg thread pitch gauge.jpg

I believe its 5/8-12 left hand It should be acme, but I think standard UNC is what the one I have it and it works. I got a replacement on ebay. You can get 5/8-11 left hand at ace, but I havent tried to see if it would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cooper2 View Post
    I believe its 5/8-12 left hand It should be acme, but I think standard UNC is what the one I have it and it works. I got a replacement on ebay. You can get 5/8-11 left hand at ace, but I havent tried to see if it would fit.
    OK. I did not do a good job of explaining. Its the arbor shaft and nut opposite to the blade side. But from your input I realised I can measure the threads per inch and it is a 5/8 shaft. thank you

Had i read your post i would have seen that i'm incorrect, but valid for older saws...

Orren,
    Glad to hear you've got it figured out.
    David