Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking bench

Woodworking bench

Hi y'all, A new wannabe woodworker here. Presently, I have a workbench that is made of 2x4's and OSB. I wood (he! he!) like to build a new one. I've seen on YouTube by Rob Crossman, that he built one with a top from MDF. I'm thinking seriously about it. The new one will be about 30 inches wide x 5-6 foot long. I was thinking of using 3 layers of MDF for the top, but not sure if it would be strong enough for bench dogs and hold fasts. All comments, ideas, tips and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by floyd mills; 02-18-2020 at 4:24 PM.

I like the woodsmith plans, and have used several over the years. Check these out for ideas. https://www.woodsmithplans.com/category/workbenches/

I built a bench about 15 years ago, and it's held up well. The top is two layers of 3/4 MDF, and topped with 1/4" hardboard that I can replace as it gets worn out. MDF is a great option, but it dose require a fair amount of support, and you'll want to wrap it in hardwood.

Based on my experience with mdf in other projects and just dropping a sheet of it on its corner, I don’t think it would stand up to repeated seating and loosening of holdfasts. The way they wedge in a dog hole puts all the pressure in two small areas at the top and bottom of the hole. I think the mdf would begin to crumble at those points.

Workbench

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Based on my experience with mdf in other projects and just dropping a sheet of it on its corner, I don’t think it would stand up to repeated seating and loosening of holdfasts. The way they wedge in a dog hole puts all the pressure in two small areas at the top and bottom of the hole. I think the mdf would begin to crumble at those points.
    Jon. thanks for the info. What would you recommend?

Floyd,

Don't let the holdfast issue bother you much there are ways to get around that. 1) a hardwood insert 2) there are other clamping devices that will perform the same task.

My only knock on MDF is water and MDF do not play well together, even if sealed.

Blog Entries
    You are about to invest a sizeable amount of time into a project, not to mention costs, you'll want to invest both of those wisely. MDF has it's uses and as a workbench top is not one I would recommend. You don't indicate your location, but there is likely a mill nearby that can supply hard wood such as maple or white oak that would be better suited for use as a work bench top. McMaster-Carr has laminated 1-3/4" thick maple tops in 30 x 60 size for about $222 (30 x 72 for $236) ready to use. They also have 2-1/4" thick top for a bit more.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the info. I will consider that option.

Hi Floyd,
    If you have a jointer and planer, you can build a top by laminating strips of whatever hard wood you like. Buy it in whatever thickness you can afford, and rip the pieces to your desired bench thickness (plus extra to allow planing of your glued up assembly) and rotate them 90 degrees before gluing. Mine is hard maple, but european beech, oak, ash and many other woods work well. Chris Schwarz, who has written a book on workbenches, even recommends southern yellow pine, which could work if it is inexpensive where you live. If you don't have a jointer and planer, it probably would be easiest to buy a laminated top. Grizzly also sells them, but I have no experience with that. Get a book from the library on workbenches for more information on recommended benchtop thickness for holdfasts and other issues. Schwarz' is good, as is one by Scott Landis. You can also learn a lot with just searches here and elsewhere on the internet. There may be some bad information, but if you read enough you will start to get a good handle on best practices. By the way, any wood is fine for legs and undercarriage, even construction lumber.
    Jon

Grizzly also has maple tops. 30” x 60” x 1-3/4” $199:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-4-Thick/G9914

Hey Jon, What thickness is ideal for a top? Thanks

Woodcraft 27x60 birch $169. plus shipping.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/b...-1-2-x-27-x-60
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Floyd, Google is your friend on this. I use the Gramercy Tools holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood, and like them. Here is a link to a description on that website of how to use them in your bench. It says that anywhere from 1 7/8" to 3" will work. If you want a thicker top for some reason, you can counterbore your dog holes from the bottom, effectively creating a thinner top at the dog hole. Here is a link to a discussion of holdfasts and top thickness from Sawmill Creek.

I also use the Gramercy holdfasts and as stated thickness is your friend here. I started with a bench with a top of 2x6's laid flat, holding worked barely.
    I eventually built a large bench with a work surface of sawmill red oak 2x4's on edge after gluing/planing it ended up being app 3" thick. My frame was constructed of yellow pine sized as needed from 2x12's. If I were to do another I'd probably do it completely in yellow pine due to availability.

That Woodcraft top says $269! It is too wide anyway. Gramercy holdfasts work well at 3.25” in hardwood, any thicker and they don’t work, I don’t know the lower limit but at least 2.5” seems likely.
    Go visit your local saw mill, look for sub furniture grade wood at a good price, chances are it will make a great bench.
    You can do plenty of bench research on the Neanderthal forum.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

On of the more expensive workbench systems is the Festool MFT table. The top is designed with bench dog holes used for clamping and alignment.

I have one of these, and have yet to really damage the MDF top other than where I cross cut on it. The top is designed to be sacrificial, but as of yet, I'm not even close to needing to replace it.

I built myself a similar top out of 3/4" MDF, 84" x 40" and lay in on my existing workbench. I bought the PARF Bench Dog hole jig and drilled a series of Bench Dog holes, all perfectly lined up.

This is a disposable top and I abuse it. I clamp to it, drill on it and saw on it. It's my do everything disposable top.

If I were to build my work bench again, I would make the top a Ron Paul Torsion box design with the top layer screwed down to the torsion box supports, so it could be replaced when needed.

This is my bench dog disposable top, its surface is larger than the workbench top, below it, so I can clamp through the dog holes on the ends. When necessary, I just use clamps to hold the top steady on the workbench below.