Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworking bench

Blog Entries
    My previous bench top was 4 layers of 3/4” mdf. I used it for years with dog holes. Based on that good performance I built my current bench with 2 layers of 3/4” ply with 2 layers of mdf on top of that. This requires less support structure underneath which was one of the design goals of the current bench.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used basic 2X4 and 4X4 to build the frame, then 2 layers of MDF with a sacrificial cover of 1/4" hard board, screwed to the MDF. The vise and dog channel are dimension lumber too. It ain't pretty, or perfectly flat, but I use it for engine/automotive work as well as wood work. Probably less than a $200 into it and less than a day to build. Took me less than an hour to swap the hard board out today. I do have a butcher block slab of hard maple that I want to use for a really nice assembly table, but can't seem to find the time or decide on a final design....

20200223_133119.jpg20200223_133221.jpg20200223_152922.jpg

This is my workbench that I rest the MDF Bench Dog sheet on. I needed a mobile bench with storage.

I made it the top to be the same height as my SawStop, so I could use it as In Feed and Out Feed support if necessary.