Thread: Dealer preference for lathe purchases

Dealer preference for lathe purchases

Im getting ready to purchase a Jet 1640evs. What suggestions/experiences would anyone like to share....positive, negative etc.? Im looking at Woodcraft, Rockler and other sellers anybody wants to mention. How do these dealers compare to each other in shipping, customer service? From the manufacturing side, I know Jet has an excellent reputation for taking care of the end user. However, if Im wrong here, please advise. All input welcome. Thanks.

SWS

For any product that I can't physically pick up in a store, I use out of state to mail order. Tn taxes are nearly 10% and I also try and find a place that does free shipping.

I've used ACME tools for a few >$1000 purchases, but had one issue where they double ordered on me and gave me a lot of grief about fixing it, to the point where I disputed the charge on my Amex. (Who needs two Powermatic floor standing mortise machines for home use?).

I just used Kingspor https://www.woodworkingshop.com to buy a Laguna 24-36 lathe and that went flawlessly.

I have bought big purchase from Woodcraft and Rockler, but as stated above, I picked up the product in store from inventory.

I am going to guess that in most cases the machine will simply ship directly from Jet to your home. I checked Woodcraft & Rockler and both stated as such on the product page.

So ultimately you'd be receiving customer support directly from Jet so the middle man isn't as important. For direct-ship products make your choice on price & shipping cost.

Ive got a Woodcraft here in Greenville, but they only drop ship this lathe. As of now, they are waiving shipping cost. Most manufacturer ship via UPS which around here have proven themselves to excel in man handling their freight deliveries. Its not all UPS's fault, but the manufacturer's choice of which carrier they use and how well they crate the product. Pretty much all of them will do curbside which is ok in my situation. Got a straight driveway and pallet jack on hand. Amazon prime has the 1640evs for $2069 with shipping at n/c.

SWS

I bought from Beaver Industrial Supply. They now carry numerous brands. They dropped shipped my lathe with no issues. Good company to deal with.
    BTW, my lathe arrived within 3 days of ordering.
    https://beavertools.com/
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

How far is Greer from Greenville, SC? I don't know if there is a Woodcraft there. Check the web for locations of their stores.
    The closest big market from my location in eastern NC is Raleigh, where there is a Woodcraft, and a Klingspor in Cary.
    If all else fails, mail order and shipping to your door will work.

Thanks folks for the input. Decided to go with Amazon (Prime) for the 1640EVS. Price was good, better than everyone else...total $2194. Pleased with the decision.

SWS

Quote Originally Posted by Stark Suggs View Post
    Thanks folks for the input. Decided to go with Amazon (Prime) for the 1640EVS. Price was good, better than everyone else...total $2194. Pleased with the decision.

SWS
    I'm sure you'll love that lathe. It will look nice in in your shop too!

Maybe I can invite myself to come visit again and see it the next time we go to Greenville. Your place was just a short drive from our son's home.

JKJ

Most of your big box stores can order one for you, but there may be a delay in getting it to you. They do have sales on Jet like all other stores do. Might be worth checking out. They don't have to add 'corporate' charges either, so may be a bit cheaper.

robo hippy

As before John, you are welcome to come by here anytime. Please grab a piece or two maple as well. It was great to give you the 10 second tour of the shop. Glad you made it out alive. The wife used to call it the garage, but now its the shop (I was stunned). Come to think of it, she might be happier with me out of the house anyway.

SWS

I hope you enjoy the lathe. One thing I have found is local stores like Woodcraft aren't that forthcoming in checking other store's inventory. Maybe it's a commission thing. A quick check shows that the store in Matthews (about 2 hours away) has at least one in stock. I would have been real tempted to jump in my truck and drive over and pick it up so I didn't have to wait even if the price was a little higher.