Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a good box joint jig

I want to buy a good box joint jig

Looking real hard at the pricy Ibox by Incra.
    I'm ok with the price I can get at Infinity - $179.90
    The biggest problem is - they are in short supply everywhere.

I was all set to order one from Carbide Processors - but - CP pulled the item from their website on Sunday - just as I logged in to order it!
    The ability to stick one in the shopping cart wasn't there like it had been - weird...oh well...

Anyhow - in looking around, I see there are a lot of others that are about half the price.
    Are they any good?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    A box joint jig is dead easy to make. Check out William Ng's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NutwD7B6tmE&t=1s

There's a guy selling a lightly used Ibox for $147.95 on the big auction site. Says he won't ship it - pick-up only. He's located in Hermitage, PA, which looks to be pretty close to the Ohio border - not sure if that's close enough for you to make it worth looking into.

Blog Entries
    I have the Incra I-Box and have been satisfied with the results.
    Box Joint.jpg
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I used home made box joint jigs for years and after I got my IBox jig a year or so ago I threw them all away. Once you get it figured out and set up it's great, very easy to fine tune.

I don't know what's going on with their production and availability; I recently ordered an LS Positioner and it took about five weeks to show up. I think it's probably a problem with their production not being able to keep up with demand. On the other hand, when I ordered new metric scales for the positioner, they showed up in a couple of days, so their shipping department is working fine.

I just checked the Incra website and the IBox jig shows in stock, with a 2-3 week lead time. I'd go ahead and order it direct from Incra.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 02-18-2020 at 1:45 PM.

If you are going to use a router, search up WoodSmith / ShopNotes box joint jig. Super simple!

The Leigh RJT400 is a great jig for many types of joints including Box. Pricey but I have one and it is worth it.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Looking real hard at the pricy Ibox by Incra.
    I'm ok with the price I can get at Infinity - $179.90
    The biggest problem is - they are in short supply everywhere.
    Hi Rich,
    I bought the Incra I-Box about a year ago. Price was $153.99 at the time from Peachtree Woodworking Supply on Amazon. The price has increased, but it's still available for immediate delivery on Amazon.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Incra I-Box Jig.jpg

I have the Incra. I used it and could get good box joints with it but there seemed to be quite a lot of slop or variation in the "kiss the blade" setup adjustment. This was causing joints either too tight or too loose so it was taking several test fits before I was happy with it. Just seemed inconsistent to me. I wanted to up my game for dovetails from the Porter Cable so I got the Leigh Tools RTJ400. Did box joints on it yesterday and it was very simple. Set the bit with my one way multi-gauge to board thickness over the jig base and add 10 thousands and my test fit perfect. Very happy with the Leigh Tools RTJ400. I guess I have an Incra box jig for sale now.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I have a Woodhaven box joint jig that is easy to set up & makes nice joints. If I were shopping today I’d buy the Incra Ibox jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I have and use the i-Box. The price has jumped nearly 25% since I bought mine!?! At any rate, it is a nice, versatile jig for repeating patterns. It is easy to setup and use. I do still use a sac-fence clamped to my sled with a key now and then since that is very easy too. I prefer the Incra if I am doing a lot of parts like drawers or production runs of things. A keyed sac-fence is quick for one-offs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The iBox is a great jig. l own one because I generally don't like spending my time making jigs and all of Incra's stuff is accurate and precise. However, you can rather easily make one and there are numerous videos on YouTube, as well as other woodworking sites (like Fine Woodworking) which show how to do it.

Also, if you are buying the iBox, check on the incramentaltools.com site. If this is your first order, you may get an additional 10% off their price. Sometimes Woodcraft has in-store or online sales which also may give you a discount. If you're not in a hurry you can probably get it a little cheaper than the regular Incra online price.

Another vote for the I-box jig.

Can't say enough good about it. As mentioned above, once you understand the setup, you can not beat it for fine tuning adjustability.

Do not remember what I paid a year or two ago, but it was worth it.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Didn't somebody who is a contributor here on SMC design the I-box? I seem to remember that I bought one based on that discussion.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 02-19-2020 at 6:54 PM.

I built this one and it is awesome:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYxDXHGRRrk&t=1177s

You can make joints in 1/16th increments, mix and match sizes too. Works great and cost me about $5 plus scrap lumber.