Thread: Painting a plastic grill?

Painting a plastic grill?

I recently bought this grill to replace my existing broken grill. It's all black shiny plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-R.../dp/B004GE8ZC6

I want to paint it to match the dark blue frame & gray grill. I can get color matching spray cans easily. Do I need to do anything to get the finish coats to adhere properly? Some sort of primer? Sanding the egg crate portion would be quite a task. Thanks for any thoughts or experience.

I would think that a primer will give you a much better end-result because one of the primary reasons for using it is to insure a good bond between the part material and the intended finish. I'd probably shoot that with a grey primer (also available in a spray bomb), lightly scuff with a white abrasive pad to knock of any dust nibs and then go on from there. I've used the spray bomb primer a number of times on a variety of materials and it works really nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rustoleum makes both a primer and top coat specifically for plastics.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

There are YouTube videos about using the Plastidip product to coat plastic automotive parts. (I've never done that myself.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCtkVePX_0

Blog Entries
    My first thought on reading the subject line was a BBQ grill.

Maybe that kind of thinking is the reason for me always dodging the scales in the morning.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think it would be best to wash it well with a good dish soap and brush, rinse and dry well then spray with an adhesion promoter intended for the purpose. SEM, Duplicolor and Rustoleum all have them, others too.

Krylon Fusion--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks all, good advice. Punxatawny Phil may be right about an early spring so this will move up the rountuits list.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Thanks all, good advice. Punxatawny Phil may be right about an early spring so this will move up the rountuits list.
    I saw a Robin the other day, Curt, so our feathered friends may be in agreement with that silly rodent...
    --

As I sit here in the sunny south awaiting the start of snowfall. Went to Aldi's today and picked up the usual milk and bread. Now we can have milk sandwiches. Not really, been taking an antibiotic, and NO DAIRY. Saturday, I can back to drinking milk. Oatmeal with Almond milk (why do they allow it to be called milk?) SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I saw a Robin the other day, Curt, so our feathered friends may be in agreement with that silly rodent...
    Birds have been chirping here like mad in the morning for about 3 weeks. I spend an extra minute or so to listen when I walk out to get the paper. Nice way to get the day srarted.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Yea, there's a Carolina Wren out there courting hot and heavy for days now.
    --

I've had good luck with Rustoleum's "trim and bumper" in a rattle can. It's matte black.

Rust-Oleum Black, Matte BlackRust-Oleum Automotive 251574 11-Ounce Trim and Bumper Spray

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's stayed on and looking good on my pickup for a few years now. I scuffed the plastic parts before spraying, but I didn't use a separate primer.