Thread: 1927 Oliver 192 Bandsaw Restoration

1927 Oliver 192 Bandsaw Restoration

Just thought this might interest a few. Picked up a lovely Oliver 192 18" bandsaw a short distance away from my shop. Serial dates it to 1927. Everything is perfect on it (functionally), and even has the rosewood fence! I plan on restoring it over however many evenings and weekends. I may keep this thread updated, but I've been primarily posting on my Instagram and will probably keep that updated more regularly. If you want to follow along on there, it's stewartlangfurniture (not trying to plug my account or anything ha! Just easier for me to use.).

Anywhere here are some pictures. Mostly just some glamour shots of the original patina as I've just begun work on it. Everything is incredibly well-built and designed. The majority of it is solid cast, and even a few lovely brass bolts here and there

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Nice saw, 1hp?

1/2hp actually, and the motor is as big, if not bigger than some of my new 3hp motors.

Lots of iron and windings.

Pretty sweet..

Looks to be in great shape; other than some clean-up and lube it looks ready to work.
    Love that fence; nicest one I have ever seen.

It’s a belt drive?
    I like Oliver machines but that’s a odd looking bandsaw.
    Good Luck
    Aj

How does the bottom front part work? It looks almost like it's a chute to dump the sawdust on your feet as the saw is cutting, but that wouldn't make sense. It's a very nice looking saw.
    Zach

I don’t find it odd looking or ugly a bit. I actually find it beautiful. How much you want for it

If the dust does dump out the bottom I’d say in the world of bandsaw that’s the best design regarding dust collection you could ask for. And if the case if it ain’t broke don’t fix it with half measures like modern saws that kinda do the job but not really.

Could be wrong but is that door not original. Regardless I like it..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-18-2020 at 10:38 AM.

It's direct drive. Some of the later decade models had raised lettering on the upper frame that said something like "Oliver no. 192" which I like, but beggars can't be choosers ha! I do like however like the age on this one. 7 more years and it'll be a hundred years old.

The base is actually supposed to be flipped around with the other side not having a chute, so yeah it dumps it on your feet lol, but that's how I got it, and there is also a chute on the side that could collect the majority of the sawdust before it gets down there. I may flip it around but I like the visual look of it, and I don't really care about the sawdust much lol.

Not 100% sure about the door, but I do think it is original, based on looking at pictures of similar year models. The hinges might be changed, but who knows.

I can’t believe this is coming out of my mouth.

But the patina on that specific machine is so nice I wouldn’t dare do anything but change the bearings and do whatever I needed to the guides if anything to get it working perfectly.

But it’s not mine so I’ll look on eagerly as I just love this stuff.

Nice! I love old bandsaws. I am also a "patina" fan, as in bring it home and hook it up and make dust with it.