Thread: Self adjusting Domino fence

Self adjusting Domino fence

I bought a Domino years ago, turns out it collects more dust than it makes in my shop, but the perfect paneled end cap job came up last week so I dusted it off and went to work. Cut quite a few mortises before I noticed that the depth fence was adjusting itself. Now I get to redo the whole thing, and the Domino probably won't be involved this round.

Question, I don't see that the depth fence tension is adjustable, Further it's kind of a weak design that is destined to tweak some other part of this thing if I make it tighter. Apparently lots of folks love these, so it's probably a problem on mine only, what's the solution?

Blog Entries
    If it is a matter of the lever being fully tightened yet the carriage not being tight enough, this is a common problem if the internet is any indication. The fix is to take out the screw holding the lever on, rotate the lever to the next toothed position and re-tighten the screw. This lets the lever rotate the tightening mechanism a few more degrees. Mine has always worked but, always felt like it was just barely tight enough. I moved the lever one step back and it now tightens just fine; both actually and in my mind ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn... thanks for the fix, I have experienced Steve’s problem also.

Brian

Thanks Glen. Looks to me like making that tighter pulls the fence crooked. Maybe it's not enough to matter, but seems like they could have a better system. My old Makita biscuit cutter uses a dovetail system that gets squeezed by the clamp, that seems like a better idea.

I have been frustrated by alignment issues when using the fence, much better results if I register off the base.

Another option is the Seneca plate attachment. I think they came up with it for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I have been frustrated by alignment issues when using the fence, much better results if I register off the base.

Another option is the Seneca plate attachment. I think they came up with it for a reason
    I agree, hard to mess something up registered off the base. I didn't want to clean the bench off to get a flat surface for all to register from this time. Being lazy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I agree, hard to mess something up registered off the base. I didn't want to clean the bench off to get a flat surface for all to register from this time. Being lazy I guess.
    But for $1500, should you really have to? I want an infinitely adjustable fence without the silly steps so I can put it where "I" want and have it stay there without resting on a step. Which is why mine collects dust.

Going to Chicago this weekend, going to see if I can get eyes on one of those Lamello do-jiggys, will give you a report.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    But for $1500, should you really have to? I want an infinitely adjustable fence without the silly steps so I can put it where "I" want and have it stay there without resting on a step. Which is why mine collects dust.

Going to Chicago this weekend, going to see if I can get eyes on one of those Lamello do-jiggys, will give you a report.
    I couldn't agree more. I make a living with my tools, no one will be paying me to redo that mess it made. You get the drift of my reason for the post. I have a $50 dowling jig that'll make the same mess for a lot less $. Very interested in your lamello review!