Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loud Jolting Sound When Starting Tablesaw?

My Unisaw has always started with a jolt and kind of a bang since new, its now 23 years old and runs fine. Still starting the same way. Sure would have been nice to have a soft start feature on it...just saying. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    I ran the motor unattached or no belt attached and without the fan....it was very very quiet.
    I spun the arbor with a blade attached and it spun for a very long time. No movement or grinding when I turn the arbor
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/rpPdE6VjGK4royED9
    The delta belts look good but worn on the side and threads are showing through.
    Attachment 426171
    I went to 2 auto stores and they could not find a replacement for it.
    From what Ive found the delta belts are $71 each and I need 2. I was hoping to find a suitable replacement for a reasonable price so I can still feed my family
    Any clues on a belt substitute?
    thanks!
    I would think somewhere online is a business that carries belts that auto parts stores don’t stock?

Somewhere like this:

https://www.in-lineindustries.com/pr...pulleys-belts/

or:

https://www.mikestools.com/delta-tab...elts_1843.aspx
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 02-18-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Most industrial supply houses carry gates belts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    My Unisaw has always started with a jolt and kind of a bang since new, its now 23 years old and runs fine. Still starting the same way. Sure would have been nice to have a soft start feature on it...just saying. Randy
    Mine's also kind of clunked since new, and is also about 20 years of doing so. Sounds a lot like the OPs

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...TcrwT-1280.mp4
    Last edited by mike stenson; 02-18-2020 at 1:29 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If the belts match, I would just put them back and try to tighten them a bit more.

About the oil. Yup, just a couple drops to see if it quiets anything down. I doubt that motor needs the bearings oiled, never checked mine.

I mention this for two reasons.
    1. Main reason....a bit of oil, or even WD40 on the shaft where it enters the motor (not the outer fan housing). If it quiets the 'fan' noise it is an indication the bearing is bad, and you proceed from there.

2. Secondary reason....I have a 16" Delta bandsaw that actually has a plastic plug on the end of the motor that opens to put oil in. I doubt the Unisaw has this, but ....you never know 'till you look.

Have you removed the fan cover to see if it is loose, or touching something? Could be something as simple as a loose set screw, or even a little chunk of wood that managed to get in the housing.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You can try this company. I’ve never used them but I will if I need something they sell. They’re local to me and have been around a very long time.

http://rbbirge.com/?matchtype=p&netw...SAAEgLjpPD_BwE

As far as belts go, you need a fractional horsepower belt, not an automotive belt. The Gates brand makes fractional HP belts and a lot of auto parts stock them. The come in 4Lxxx, 5Lxxx, "A", and "B" series. These belts are measured by "top width" and outside circumference. 4Lxxx (the xxx designates length) and 5Lxx are standard fractional HP belts. The "A" and "B" series are a bit more industrial but can work as heavy duty replacements.

(I worked at a parts house all through Jr. and Sr. high school.....I'm 61 now and still remember)

The belts are showing a little bit of wear but are still usable. The reason you can see the threads on the sides of the belt is because they're what's called a raw edge belt. They're made that way, it's not from wear.

The only way to tell if they're a matched set is by looking for some sequential numbers on the belts. They could be 156 157 158, or 078 079 080. Any combination of three sequential numbers. Both belts should have the numbers as close to each other as possible. One belt could be 156 157 158 and the other belt could be 157 158 159. That's what makes them a matched set.

I would buy the notched belts like you have if you're replacing them. They have a better wrap on the sheaves and won't take a set as easy.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

My 5hp Grizzly Sliding Table Saw started up with a bang and so does my 3hp Shopfox, it was normal sound for motors with magnetic switch.