Thread: Learning To engrave/cut leather on a 90 watt laser any tips

Learning To engrave/cut leather on a 90 watt laser any tips

First piece.jpgI have just received my Laser and I have made my first piece.
    It seems that it stiffened the side up because of the burn. I am going to try a thinner vector cut and see how that helps.
    But I am also going to raster some items any pointers?

From my experience you are burning organic matter and there is little that can be done to make it "pliable" again.
    Neatsfoot oil after engraved and cleaned up will help somewhat.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Use an 80% black instead of 100% when rastering, it will yield a better result.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I engrave a lot of leather, different thicknesses and different colours. I find that different colours require different settings. Last night I was engraving some gloss white leather on my 60w machine, it required a slow speed of 150mm/second and power of 70%, the brown leather I was also engraving was done at 300mm speed and 70 power. Natural tan leather I can do at a high speed and low power.

I don’t use the laser to cut the leather, I find the burnt edges a pain to clean and as I’m often doing dozens and sometimes hundreds of the same item, time is a factor too. I use cutting dies and an 8 tonne hydraulic press to cut my leather.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Use an 80% black instead of 100% when rastering, it will yield a better result.
    Chris, *most* chinese lasers don't know what 80% black is- Western lasers with photo capability can dither solid colors automatically, Chinese laser programs can dither bitmaps, but not solid vector colors...

That said, it could be that FS software is able to dither solid colors, but I'm thinking not -?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I engrave lots of Veg tan leather, It pliable after engraving and you can always work it a little to loosen it up if you like. I always coat it with sheen before engraving and quick wipe with a damp cloth cleans all the smoke residue off.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Wash with soap and water. If you are going to put finish on, do that first, then laser, then wash, then finish again. We us a dehydrator. Run some settings tests. If the project will hold still you can cut 2 times. If the leather is curling, then it is too wet to cut, so dry it more. I wear a mask - chromium is not good for you. They recommend you increase the air pressure.

Can you please put your laser specs.

Cheers Marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Hi Burt, is sheen an acrylic. we have been using resolene(tandy) which is acrylic. thx marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Quote Originally Posted by Martin James View Post
    Hi Burt, is sheen an acrylic. we have been using resolene(tandy) which is acrylic. thx marty

Eco-Flo Satin Shene is a water based, low V.O.C., durable, water repellent, acrylic non-glossy satin top finish for natural veg-tanned tooling leather. ... Apply a light even coat of Satin Shene
    I use resolene sometimes but it makes the leather much stiffer then sheen.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander