Thread: Vintage Black & Decker Workmates

Vintage Black & Decker Workmates

I hope a few forum members will enjoy my new web site H-frame, devoted to vintage Black & Decker Workmates, specifically the 79-001 models sold in the U.S. from 1974 to 1982.

It has a type identification flowchart, as well as a detailed type study, including a comparison spreadsheet as well as full descriptions of each type. There are downloadable documents, details about the Workmate accessories, examples of the markings and labels to look for, plus a blog.

You’ll notice that a few parts are not complete yet, but they are coming soon. I will also be adding many more detail photos to complement the text for each individual Type. Comments are welcome here, plus there’s a Contact form on the site.
    https://h-frame.weebly.com -- The Unofficial site for the Black & Decker Workmate 79-001

Blog Entries
    I believe I have the 79-001, but there are no labels anywhere and no ink stamps under the jaws. It does have the cast aluminum H-frames with the name cast in. Using your flow chart it appears to be a Type 2; however, my jaws are Baltic birch plywood and each jaw has 9 holes is made in two pieces. The holes measure 19.8mm in diameter. The narrow underside strip is help on with five twist shank nails evenly spaced and two square drive wood screws, one at each end. The step has 4 ribs. The base and legs are painted gray and have 8 adjustable feet with cylindrical rubber pads.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

From your description, it sounds like a standard 79-001 Type 2, with no unusual part substitutions. It must have the aluminum rear-jaw carrier nut, right?
    https://h-frame.weebly.com -- The Unofficial site for the Black & Decker Workmate 79-001

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wolf View Post
    From your description, it sounds like a standard 79-001 Type 2, with no unusual part substitutions. It must have the aluminum rear-jaw carrier nut, right?
    Yes it does along with the metal table locks.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Now if there was a source of replacement parts for them, I'd be happy. The plastic locking device on one of my newer ones was broken during a move and renders it essentially useless. I have an older one also that I will have to determine the type. It was purchased from the estate of an older gentleman. Its only negative is the weight.

The 79-001 models from 1974-1982 have hardly any plastic parts, so they break much less often. Every once in a while I see one with a broken plastic crank handle, but that's about it. I've heard of the metal retainer clips for the legs breaking occasionally. They typically weigh about 31 pounds (other than the original all-aluminum Type E, which is about 24 pounds). Mine do seem heavier to me than they did 40 years ago!