Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sideboard Construction Research

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I'm beginning to research building a sideboard and was wondering if someone could point me to a good book or articles on the possible ways (along with advantages/disadvantages) of going about the case construction. Specifically, I'm looking for information on the proper way(s) to tackle the back, drawer dividers, runners, etc... and do it all in a way that accounts for wood movement.

Here are the kinds of questions I'm looking to answer:

• So far, I've come across two main strategies for the case - dovetails or frame and panel. Why would someone choose one method over the other - is it mainly for aesthetic reasons or are there other things to consider?
    • If opting for frame and panel construction, should the grain in the case sides run veritcally or horizontally?
    • How should the drawer runners/guides attach to the inside of the carcass (again so that when it moves, nothing splits).
    Fine Woodworking #130 June 1998 has exactly what you need. An article by Will Neptune breaks down a table with drawers that applies to sideboards as well. It explains all of the components, doublers, kickers, runners, dividers, rails, etc, and shows the proper joinery technique to solve wood movement issues. It’s a great article that I refer to on each of my table/sideboard projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Fine Woodworking #130 June 1998 has exactly what you need. An article by Will Neptune breaks down a table with drawers that applies to sideboards as well. It explains all of the components, doublers, kickers, runners, dividers, rails, etc, and shows the proper joinery technique to solve wood movement issues. It’s a great article that I refer to on each of my table/sideboard projects.
    Is this the one? https://www.finewoodworking.com/issue/1998/06/issue-130 I don't see it accessible in the digital issue - maybe there some articles not available online?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Is this the one? https://www.finewoodworking.com/issue/1998/06/issue-130 I don't see it accessible in the digital issue - maybe there some articles not available online?
    Nevermind, I see it now. Thank you for recommending this.

His presentation is orthodox, maybe tending to overbuilt. Neptune is a Cartouche Award winner and taught at North Bennett Street for years, may still, I'm not sure. I've re-read the article, since it's been a while since I'd seen it. As drawn, you couldn't blow one of the sideboards in the article apart with a stick of dynamite.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-22-2020 at 8:43 AM.

John, I just bought a book on building furniture that is fundamentally about designing furniture, chests, and cabinets. It shows options on lots of different projects. The joints that work best in lots of applications, and detailed drawings on how the joints go together, and the framing you use.

It is not a "how to book" on how to make the joints, it is a book on how to design the project you intend to build, the framing, joints, panels, etc.

I think it would be very beneficial in your case. The book is 374 pages long, and has 2 to 4 drawings on every page. It has sections on Joints, subassemblies, tables (33 types), 11 types of desks, chests, cabinets (two pages on sideboard), and beds. It is well done and well worth the price. My copy is hardback, and it was relatively low dollar as it must not have been a big seller.

The book is "Rodale's Illustrated Cabinetmaking, How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works" by Bill Hylton.

You can by a good to better copy on that auction sight for $5 to $10.

I recommend the book.

Stew

+1 on Bill Hylton's book John. You will probably never find "your" exact project sample in the book to copy from, but you will find a design of the interior structure of a piece of furniture that can be applied to your own project. Easy to see and figure out.
    David