Thread: Delta DJ-20 Question

Delta DJ-20 Question

Hello,
    I'm getting some vibration and a rumbling noise on my DJ-20 (1988 vintage) when the jointer is slowing down. I opened the panels and the belt (V-belt, about 10 years old, perhaps more) is seated properly on the pulleys but "flaps" on startup; perhaps suggesting it's loose? As the motor slows down, the belt vibrates at the same time I hear the rumbling noise. I couldn't induce any movement in the pulleys. So, I'm wondering if it's possible to tighten the belt on a DJ-20? Second, what is the procedure for replacing it?
    Many Thanks-
    Izzy

Belts should be tightened after the first few hours of run time. then checked every few years.
    Bil lD.

A 10 year old belt should be replaced. Make sure all keys and set screws are tight and the pulleys are in alignment. Jointers can have a rumble associated with the start circuit of the motor kicks in and out. That base acts just like a drum to make the make the sound worse than it is.

While the belt is off spin the head and motor to make sure the bearings are good and not crunchy. The 30 year old grease is probably dried out by now and should be replaced, especially if they are shielded and not sealed.
    Bill D

Bill is right ,I also suspect that a bearing is going in your cutterhead or motor.

A new belt is coming later this week. About 8 years ago I replaced the cutterhead with a Byrd spiral head and changed all the bearings at that time. I'll spin the head when I have the belt off and see if its smooth. So, to change the belt do I just "walk" the old one off and "walk" the new one on, or do I move the motor? Thanks for all the replies-

Loosen the bolts in the motor,it slides up/down on slots.