Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear Rob Lee - Website Fix Date?

Mr. Lee, I appreciate your hard work and hope it comes out well. Indeed 6 months of development ont he new thing, it won't be as refined as the one your team had been working on for twenty years.

Example for me, I want to try staked furniture. I found the tapered mortise cutters no problem. Still haven't found a matching tapered reamer to cut matching tenons. I did find 499+ tapered reamer products. I hope someday when someone finds the tapered mortise cutter the matching tapered reamers will down in the list of "related products" at the bottom of the page.

I am confident your guys are working on it. The only thing I would ask is don't let the quality of your actual products slip while the website is getting up to speed.

Thanks, and best wishes for 2020.

Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Glenn (et al) -

Yes - we have a lot of work to do to get our website back to where the previous version was. The base search engine (which is what is running now) leaves a lot to be desired. We are actively evaluating other search engine software - and will be implementing a much better solution as fast as practical. We continue to work with the taxonomy and navigation structures - and are making some progress there. (take a look at Festool, or Veritas in the tools tab). It is slow going - but we are making progress.

Our previous website was refined over a period of 20 years ... and we've had less than 6 months with this one. Our hand was a bit forced in releasing the site as we did, and then we had to freeze development work as we went through the Christmas period - what is visible now is only about 30-40% of our actual design.

We know the website is not what it should be (yet) - and we are focused on cleaning up what's there, and rolling out improvements on a continual basis. Your comments here (and elsewhere ) are certainly being heard - and are being addressed. Progress cannot happen fast enough for me either!

Cheers,

Rob
    Great news. What prompted this sort-of open letter was that I was on another site and yet again, some folks were really stirring the pot on the new website. I have enjoyed doing business with Lee Valley for a long time and talk them up sincerely whenever discussions warrant (and sometimes when they don't ). I feel that I have developed a relationship with them as a company and it personally pains me to read people talking trash. My concern was that the performance issues were being soft-sold up the ladder. It sounds like that is not the case and that's terrific. I am sure I am not alone in wishing you best speed on getting things dialed in. Good luck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great news. What prompted this sort-of open letter was that I was on another site and yet again, some folks were really stirring the pot on the new website. I have enjoyed doing business with Lee Valley for a long time and talk them up sincerely whenever discussions warrant (and sometimes when they don't ). I feel that I have developed a relationship with them as a company and it personally pains me to read people talking trash. My concern was that the performance issues were being soft-sold up the ladder. It sounds like that is not the case and that's terrific. I am sure I am not alone in wishing you best speed on getting things dialed in. Good luck.
    I would point to the mcmaster- carr website for an example of how it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I would point to the mcmaster- carr website for an example of how it could be done.
    McMaster and Rockauto are the gold standards IMO. They are so good I go there to find part numbers to use for a Google search for that product all the time. Often results in finding the item at a lower price. I'm sure Rock and Mcmaster wouldn't like to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    McMaster and Rockauto are the gold standards IMO. They are so good I go there to find part numbers to use for a Google search for that product all the time. Often results in finding the item at a lower price. I'm sure Rock and Mcmaster wouldn't like to hear that!
    Interesting, I find rockautos UX to be pretty.. bad. The search works very well, but wow... the interface is from the 90s
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut