Thread: New Router Table

New Router Table

Finished up my new router table. Pretty much Norm's NYW design with a few tweaks. I made it 4" deeper for a little more top surface area. I ditched the toekick and screw in levelers in favor of a Bora mobility base kit. I made it about 4" taller since I am fairly tall, and that gave me room to move the switch to the front and also for a plenum area to draw dust from the crude "dado dust" collection box on the left side. There's a channel from that box to the main router box area so I didn't have to run a separate hose to the dado dust box.

The fence is from Infinity. Not as fancy as some but it had all the features I wanted for a decent price. I'm happy with the fence's construction; but I don't have hours on it yet so time will tell. I should mention that the bit guard in the picture is not the one that comes with the fence. I had a bigger and sturdier guard on hand and used that one. The infinity one is fine; just wimpier than the one in the picture.

Inside is the big Triton router with through-the-top height adjustment. No lift. A 4" line from the back goes to my cyclone and the fence dust hose just goes into the main router box area. Only did a quick test but dust collection seems quite good.

The top rests on four small pads of rubberized cork to isolate vibration from transferring to the base, and the resulting gap is sealed with high density foam weatherstrip.

DSC_0181a.jpg

Here's the dado dust box. Got the idea for using a brush as a "soft" dust deflector from Rockler's similar gadget. Just did one quick test and it seems to be effective at capturing most of the dust that goes shooting out when routing grooves or dados.

DSC_0180a.jpg
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 02-16-2020 at 8:40 PM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, that is a sweet rig. Thoughtful design. Looks nice, too. I'm about to finish up a router table on a new table saw extension. Vibration control might be a challenge for me, as the sides of the table are bolted to the saw fence rails. The table is already built, so that ship has sailed: I don't think I can fit in any foam.

Thanks Bob. In reality, vibration is likely not a big issue. Routers turn so fast the frequency of vibration is likely way higher than any resonance points in the structure. I just took a few steps because they were easy to do.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--