Thread: Miniwax Polyacyalic Matte

Miniwax Polyacyalic Matte

Anyone use this? How flat is it?
    Last edited by Ed Gibbons; 02-16-2020 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Grammar

If it's labeled "matte", it will have a slight sheen and not be completely flat. GF has a "flatter than flat" clear available if you need dead-flat, I believe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If it's labeled "matte", it will have a slight sheen and not be completely flat. GF has a "flatter than flat" clear available if you need dead-flat, I believe.
    Jim, do such sheens “mask” the wood grain, etc. from view?

I don't believe they should mask grain, but the more matte a finish, the less "defects" and stuff like that shows up because of the lower reflectivity. The grain might be slightly less evident at a high angle because of that but not from mild or no angle I suspect. Prashun's thread about EM8000cv shows how the Matte/Flat looks on walnut and it's pretty impressive. I'm going to be ordering one of the products in matte/flat next time I get finish from Target because that's honestly the look I prefer on fine furniture and many other kinds of projects.
    --

I tried that minwax matte acrylic on a small project. It looked good - almost like there’s no finish on the wood. However, it is rather sensitive to alkalines like windex, like the early waterbornes. The next time I need matte, I’ll head to General Finishes or Target.

I actually just found an unopened quart of the Polycrylic matte in my cabinet...bought at great discount when HD was phasing out Minwax products in the last year. I don't normally use Minwax products for most projects, but do keep some around for general utility. I have something I'm working on that needs to be clear coated and will use it for that to see what it looks like. I'll post the results afterward...sometime tomorrow if things go as planned. My hope is that it has just enough sheen to "not be boring" on the black piece it will be covering. If I don't like it, I can shoot a coat of satin clear over it to adjust if need be.
    --

Thanks Jim that’s good to know. I have been using satin on furniture for just the reasons you mentioned but I may try matte to see how it looks.

Ok, I just shot a couple coats of the Polycrylic Matte and I'm pretty pleased with the low luster sheen. It's not flat and it's not satin...almost "just right", IMHO. Pardon the quality of the photo and the fact that I haven't yet cleaned off any dust nibs prior to one or two more coats.

IMG_E6717.jpg
    --

Still drying and not completely there yet, but still a good indication of the low level sheen. Please note that the original surface wasn't perfect and I chose not to abrade it completely flat which risked damaging the original veneer. I'm just adding color, honestly, to bring it back to life as a family heirloom.

IMG_E6718.jpg

Edit...

I'm very pleased with the result using this particular top coat, at least for a personal use item where I know how it's going to be handled. I do prefer spraying the Target Coatings finishes I normally use, but this Minwax product is pretty OK.

IMG_6721.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-18-2020 at 5:01 PM.
    --

Looks great Jim- thanks for sharing!