Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hall of the Mountain King Restrat

Attention Creekers; your attention please. The Hall is now open! ...a round of mead for everyone!

Once again, an inspiring space to say the least.

Edit: Just noticed the 'shorts' storage in the racks :: a great solution/use of space
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 06-28-2020 at 5:07 PM.

Been thinking the last 2 days that I was missing The Hall. Thank you for the updates. Here's hoping your roof stays tight and the chimney leaks never more.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Attention Creekers; your attention please. The Hall is now open! ...a round of mead for everyone!

Once again, an inspiring space to say the least.

Edit: Just noticed the 'shorts' storage in the racks :: a great solution/use of space
    I just cracked open a Corona. It seemed appropriate.

Impeccably timed! Will the bar service be on the Bois d'Elegance level? Or perhaps on the Skye Forest deck?

Regardless of where, I bet it's tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Been thinking the last 2 days that I was missing The Hall. Thank you for the updates. Here's hoping your roof stays tight and the chimney leaks never more.
    I felt I did not have much to report. Amen on no more roof leaks.

Impeccably timed! Will the bar service be on the Bois d'Elegance level? Or perhaps on the Skye Forest deck?

Regardless of where, I bet it's tasty.
    A la table de Janicequimefaithumble!

It looks a lot different from the last time I saw it!

timberframe_20190522_090931.jpg timberframe_20190522_094214.jpg timberframe_20190522_095503.jpg timberframe_20190522_113023.jpg

Really need to get up your way again.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    It looks a lot different from the last time I saw it!

timberframe_20190522_090931.jpg timberframe_20190522_094214.jpg timberframe_20190522_095503.jpg timberframe_20190522_113023.jpg

Really need to get up your way again.
    Hey John,

Come on up! We can do some math. The Chinese Chippendale panels are based on that high school favorite, the 30-60-90 triangle.

Looks fantastic. I did some Chinese Chippendale ballustrades very similar to that design. At first, I was going to do them with power tools, but found it quicker to just to mark, and cut each piece with a 12" crosscut backsaw, while I sat close to the job at hand. We painted the ends of every piece before assembly, so I just went down the line cutting the same set of pieces for each section, while my helpers painted the last set of pieces, that would be put up next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Even as a kid I loved seeing Chinese Chippendale from a car window. It used to move as I watched it ! But now it won't.
    Maybe you guys are using too many nails !!

Nails, screws, or mortises?

I would be happy to do half as well as you. Since my panels are all rectangular, I am free to pick angles that have a detent on the miter saw so I will use that. I am setting up an assembly form on a sheet of plywood to ensure uniformity of the panels.
    I will have no assistants. It is just I. I am using pressure treated pine, but will recoat with wood preservative after assembly.

I have about a hundred pounds of hand forged, wrought iron nails the right size, that we took out of the 150 year old Cypress shingle roof we found under a layer of tin, on that house. I held each piece in place with a stainless steel 23ga. pin, and then drilled a hole, and nailed in one of the old nails.

The pieces are 1-1/8" thick, as was typical of finish boards on the rest of that house. I forget the width, but it was wider than 1-1/2". If you look at the ends of that porch, in that picture, the 20th Century version made with treated 2x2's is still there. The new ones are Heart Cypress.

edited to add: The step stringers were old, but very solid, so no need to redo those. The trouble was that one side was a different slope than the other, and a different length. The best plans of measuring, and using a power miter saw went out of the window. I had to start one side, and sight the second side by the first side, or it would have had a very confusing look, when looking through both sides. That made the handsaw the easy way.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-28-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Here was the inspiration for that balustrade. The Hope Plantation, built in 1805. There were a couple of the original sections of the second floor balustrade left.

I thought the angles on the step Chinese Chippendale sections were too sharp, which made some of the members almost horizontal, so I made some full sized drawings to see how many sections to divide them up into.

The Hope house is larger than it looks in that picture. Window panes are 16x20 inches.

Superb. Precisely what I dream of having for myself one day.

(snip)... Just noticed the 'shorts' storage in the racks :: a great solution/use of space
    Thomas:

It's turning out beautiful. Awesome job.

Quick question - how did you attach/support the horizontal members in your wood rack to the large wood columns? It looks like it's carrying a huge amount of weight, and doing it well.

I love that solution for the storing the "shorts" under the long pieces of lumber.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.