Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hall of the Mountain King Restrat

Gorgeous space and inspiring location for woodworking.
    I feel your pain regarding contractors and subs. I have a driveway and carport project that is going on 6 months and nowhere near completion. At the point of finishing the framing/trim work myself and telling my contractor to take a hike.

That temporary loading dock was a great idea. It would be good if you could keep it around somewhere after the fact in case you, um...upgrade something.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not much progress this week. The hardwood floors are done as far as they can be done. We have to fix the chimney leak before the floor can be installed up to the fireplace.

The leak has been diagnosed. I cut holes in the chimney chase in two places so I could see inside the chase. The water is coming off the roof against the fake stone veneer. The chimney is flashed at the intersection but the chimney extends beyond the roof edge. (Yes it is a bad design.) The water runs laterally off the edge of the roof at the chimney and out along the mortar seams before dripping down the side of the chimney chase. The chase just leaks through the OSB. I don't know why the felt backing on the underlayment for the stone is not waterproof. The path forward is to redo the cricket. Instead of a peaked design that sheds water left and right, we will put the peak right on the edge of the roof so that water is directed away from the edge and toward the roof. I will probably also have to spray the stone itself with sealant to waterproof it. The chimney is flashed under the stone veneer where it intersects the roof and that seam seems to be waterproof. The only evidence of a leak is where the chimney extends beyond the edge of the roof.

I ordered the trim molding(baseboard, casing, crown and chair rail) and doors for the apartment. Should be in today.

I will put up pictures of the trimmed out apartment when I get back to the lake. This was the weekend of the grandson's fourth birthday so I have been in Atlanta since Friday.

I am going to pick up the SawStop that has been stored at Woodcraft since December and set it up in the shop now that the floors are done. I can also bring a load or two of tools from storage that I can carry on the pickup and need right now. The move-in will be a bit gradual. I need to finish the duct work for the dust collector before we can close up the ceiling of the basement. A lot of my stuff will be stored in the basement until I finish all the shop furniture. I don't want stored stuff in the way of the sheetrock work in the basement. I will be moving the things needed for current work.

Just encouragement to keep your post coming. I enjoy reading and seeing posts from the Hall.

Looking for some missing posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixonm View Post
    Just encouragement to keep your post coming. I enjoy reading and seeing posts from the Hall.
    I will post something soon. Not much to report. My helper has some serious health problems. I don’t really think he will be back. It saddens me. He has COPD from working in a plant that made fiberglass camper tops years ago. He also beat alcoholism cold turkey. He was trying so hard to work anyway with me but his body is giving out. He is just 46.

TW

Very sad to hear that about your helper, Thomas...there is some really good work being done with COPD in some major hospitals like Temple in Philadelphia. I hope he's exploring his options, especially given he's so young.
    --

Can you get some drone pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Can you get some drone pics?
    Inside or outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very sad to hear that about your helper, Thomas...there is some really good work being done with COPD in some major hospitals like Temple in Philadelphia. I hope he's exploring his options, especially given he's so young.
    COPD is not his most serious problem. He is hugely overweight, has diabetes, and now has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He told me all that. My guess is that he has depression also. He was really trying to beat all that working for me, to prove himself again. He worked slow but that suited me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Inside or outside?

Well, both!

Just now catching up. Looks fantastic Thomas. Well done!

Hi all,

A brief update on the workshop. It took a while to get the roof fixed, nearly 2 months before the roofers came out. They said they did not know there was a problem. The fix was to change the cricket so that it peaked right on the edge of the roof and caused water on the roof to go around the chimney on down the roof rather than go over the edge at the chimney. I asked to wait for a couple of good rains to be sure the fix worked, and I put fans in the holes in the chimney chase to dry it out. It seemed to be ok. Then, work shut down for the pandemic for 2 months.

I have continued to work alone but I am pretty slow. I have patched the holes in the chimney chase that I cut to diagnose the roof leak and did some other odd jobs. I have moved in the major power tools and benches. The drill press and planer were moved on Friday. The Sawstop, jointer, router table, Sjobergs bench and most of the hand power tools have been in the shop for a while. I had the band saw in the basement until Friday. The sliding miter is on the porch where I am working on the hand rail. We damaged the drill press and the band saw in moving them. I was able to order replacement parts.

The shop is a little underwhelming at this point because I have not built any shop furniture worthy of the room. When it was an open room the potential seemed unlimited. Now with my old shop furniture and metal shelfs from the storage units, I feel I have not lived up to the room's potential. Ultimately there will be no metal shelves. I will have base cabinets under the windows in the end wall, a nice outfeed table/cabinet, and customized accessory holders for all the power tools. I have big dreams to make all the cabinets and accessories fun and creative in design.

Right now, I am focused on hand rail for the screened porch and next the hand rail for the stairs. The goal is to get the certificate of occupancy so all the items required for that are the top priority.

Here is the main shop.

IMG_1827.jpg

And a view from the other side of the room
    IMG_5931.jpg

The wood rack in the basement is nearly fully loaded with my stash of mostly cherry. This was the other part of the haul on Friday from the storage unit.
    IMG_7646.jpg

I did the handrail with my own version of timber framing. I mortised the posts for a loose tenon and mortised the handrail so that it was open at the bottom so I could drop the handrail in place between the existing posts. It is very sturdy even though I have not pegged the tenons yet.

IMG_2476.jpg
    Here is the railing so far.
    IMG_8101 3.jpg
    Here is a loose tenon that I made. Now that's a domino. Festool eat your heart out.

IMG_9813 3.jpg

Here is the plan for the Chinese Chippendale handrail that will fill in the space to the legal requirement for openings.

ChineseChippendalePorchRail.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

hah! Many of us would "kill" for a shop space like that! You'll get it to where you want it for sure. Nobody expects a pandemic on top of other issues!

Truly beautiful space, Thomas!
    --

Yeah omg,

That’s totally a dream space and situation.

Your just gonna hate being out there