Thread: New Outfeed, Assembly table with options

New Outfeed, Assembly table with options

Hi all. So starting this post early for some design ideas before getting into the build. Quick history. Last year this time, I moved from the garage into 2,300sf shop. I retired from an IT career and we starting doing furniture repair, with a plan to eventually do cabinet repair as well. Some issues with CA contractor law, some miss leading rules therein, AND 5 heart attacks and bypass surgery last year caused me to drop the cabinetwork, and move back into the garage. (yes, feeling great now, better than I have in 20 years, thanks for asking).

I added several tools while in the big shop, and space is now at a significant premium in the garage.

I need to do some consolidation of table tops (Ya, like a lot of you, if it’s a flat surface it’s covered in something. Ha, my jointer is currently doing double duty as small assemble table right now, you know how it is).

The project now is to combine my folding outfeed table, assembly table, and router cart into one. And potentially build a downdraft sanding table into it as well.

OMG I hope that wasn’t too much history I’m. Sorry.

Building this on top of a torsion box will be a pain. And I’m not sure that a torsion box is that critical. I’ll end up with probably six cabinet boxes all squared up and connected, so I’ll have a very rigid base that will start flat and shouldn’t rack over time. To that, I’ll drop some ¾" MDF with a laminate skin on top.

As always, all thoughts much appreciated.
    Plans to follow.
    Last edited by Steve Moss; 02-16-2020 at 9:56 AM. Reason: fix formatting issues from copy paste from Word
    Thanks, Steve

Husband, Father, Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moss View Post
    The project now is to combine my folding outfeed table, assembly table, and router cart into one. And potentially build a downdraft sanding table into it as well.
    Building this on top of a torsion box will be a pain. And I’m not sure that a torsion box is that critical. I’ll end up with probably six cabinet boxes all squared up and connected, so I’ll have a very rigid base that will start flat and shouldn’t rack over time. To that, I’ll drop some ¾" MDF with a laminate skin on top.
    Hi Steve, my first thought upon reading your post was that an assembly table and router table don't mix that well. Assembly tables get dinged, glue smears, etc., where as a router table needs to be clean, smooth, flat for material to move easily and consistently through the bit.

Also, I don't think a torsion box for a top is a good solution here. With the underlying construction of cabinets, I don't see what value you will get from the extra work of building the torsion box. Also, off feed tables usually have relief slots for miter bar travel. These slots would compromise the top panel.

Lastly, I don't see how a down draft table and a torsion box would work together, with all the internal compartments in the box due to the webbing in the box. But I'm still working my way thru my first cup of tea this morning, so I may be missing something.

I'm also space starved in my shop, so I would recommend putting your new table on wheels to allow even more flexibility.

Brian, Thanks for the response.

The more I stare at the space the more I question my sanity for thinking of all of that in one spot. Currently I have router cart at the end of the wing of the saw stop, and it's not in the way. I'm wondering why I would want to change it. I did pick up a new router lift yesterday that isn't going to fit in the existing table, so I'll have route out more room in the top and that might just be the limit of that change.

Ya, i've pretty much dumped the torsion box idea at this point, but there's a good video of a downdraft table in a torsion box where the builder used 5" long 3/4" pvc to bridge the webbing gap. Cool solution, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Ah heck, I'm not all that sure that a downdraft table is all that critical. I'm lucky enough to have a Festool sander/vac, and using Abranet I get 99% of my dust collected all ready.

Wheels for sure, and levelers too.

I've just about talked my self out of going on with this project for now. If not combining several options into one, I am probably better off working on a tool storage solution that works and come back to this later.
    Thanks, Steve

Husband, Father, Vet