Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Martin T-23

Are you needing single phase because the converter won't handle another three phase machine? Quincy made lots or QR models. While two stage is nice, a single stage would work too. The 325 can also be run with a 3 hp motor and a smaller drive pulley. The QR series had a wide range of speeds they could be run at. Look for a 3 hp unit. It won't put out as much air but life is a trade off. The old Quincy will be running when the new C-H compressors are long dead. Saylor Beall, Kellogg, others made good compressors but finding a pressure lubed like the QR is pretty rare. Dave

"Worth it all but oh boy I earned this one."

Yes you did!
    Really like the way that locking miter joint looks

Dave I’ll request your help here as your opinion of valued. Clearly we have similar taste and ideas regarding what a good machine is and is not.

I was actually thinking of a old unit but I’m honestly not up for another project if it’s the type of the “unknown variety” I’m actually longing for just a little bit of plug and play. Sadly my wallet doesn’t support such ventures very often when talking about high quality Woodworking machines.

My fear in a old unit is well I don’t know my arss from my whatever regarding motors. The only thing I know per your above suggestion is the head gasket could essentially be bad. But with my luck as of late I’ll buy a unit so,done ran to long with a blown head gasket and the heads will be warped or a rod will be busted or or or..

But I’d much prefer a old unit to a new one provided it’s worth the effort and can be nicer than any new unit. I’d be happy enough with a new higher end Quincy but it’s $3200.

Then onto my hp issue. I need the 5hp so I think to creat the amount of air I need and not listen to the dam thing cycle all day.

Anymore thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Are you needing single phase because the converter won't handle another three phase machine? Quincy made lots or QR models. While two stage is nice, a single stage would work too. The 325 can also be run with a 3 hp motor and a smaller drive pulley. The QR series had a wide range of speeds they could be run at. Look for a 3 hp unit. It won't put out as much air but life is a trade off. The old Quincy will be running when the new C-H compressors are long dead. Saylor Beall, Kellogg, others made good compressors but finding a pressure lubed like the QR is pretty rare. Dave

I would avoid the pumps that have been sitting in the graveyard and look for a working unit with a decent looking tank. There are also duplex units used that tend to be hard to sell. Two 3 hp units on one tank. You shouldn't be afraid of buying another used machine. You have taken to of the most difficult and in comparison the Quincy is an easy fix. If you find one cheap enough, you can even wire it through a vfd if the motor is three phase, which most will be. The sound of those old Quincy's is part of their charm. The fact that they are pressure lubed compared to the splash system of most others sets them apart as well. Look up some QR rehab videos on youtube for an idea of what you are in for. Keep in mind that there are running units out there that don't need the degree of work on the videos. Dave

Oh man Dave,

What have you done!

You planted a dam seed and now I’m done for.

I spent a good amount of time good going around last evening and this morning. That noise you refer to I am familiar with but didn’t know I was till you pointed it out.

I think it may be my uncles shop that I am in the “know” as to that sound. His compressor room has two very big units. One a Quincy and another I can’t remember but it’s a back up. The Quincy get all the use and it has that quiet sof chug chug chug vrs that blap blap blap sound.

In my little space I’m not excited about one of these monster compressors hence my willingness to go with a 60-80 gallon tank to cut cycle times.

Beyond the noise thing the vintage thing and your points regarding splash lube yada yada make it more attractive to me. I tend to like the old machines because they were built better and at a time when things were built to be repairable vrs disposable. I much prefer to own things I can fix vrs repalce.

But shit it’s not easy to just find one of these compressors. And sadly most are not upright and ideally and maybe I have to have a upright unit. It seems it will be a chore to find not only a upright unit but also a 5hp unit vrs 7.5-10 not to mention single phase.

I’m open to VfD but to get my 5hp I’d need 7.5 and then maybe more than the 30 amp breaker I have availibity.

So you know non of the above is as easy at hit “purchase” on amazon and have a lift gate drop it at the end of my driveway then wrestle it into my shop.

But you know having one more sweet old forever machine may just be worth what feels liked commitment to more old machine leg work..

Ok it’s Saturday I’m sitting still handing with the pup and bored.

Plus I had a request from another owner regarding this switch. I also figure it’s worth documenting here for people moving forward should they ever need it.

I know it’s threads like this that have been of a immense help to me as I sink deeper and deeper into this old machine addiction/obsession.

Reappear picture but this shows where it mounts.

D54AFB90-E13F-4DDF-A73B-651F573D0A4C.jpg

The wires go back to a 24vdc rectifier in the machines electrical box. The switch actual test around depending on the placement of the belt and send a single to a light indicating rpm on the outside of the machine.

0FA3D834-E337-464C-8ADF-25DDBB0B3F43.jpg

Now a few Picts of the various sides. The fin type thing moves on a nut and bolt back and forth. A bearing is set onto a spring in a drilled out hole that indexes depressions on the fin. These index points set the various positions that coral are with the belt and pully positions and hence the four different rpm. 3000,4500,6000,9000.

494E1ED7-1747-4ABC-ACCB-1F4663FD2468.jpg

6631148B-E2FD-49A1-A91B-A1CBB8EC3837.jpg

56E0E647-18A6-4EA1-A15D-E305C867DF8B.jpg

850CC9E0-968B-4D74-A3B0-894C57E367A2.jpg

250A335A-396D-453A-9911-08057AFFDDEA.jpg

More,

3F63A5CB-8964-4BD9-B104-F2BA23F1C380.jpg

6F42D92A-AC19-4A34-83EA-BEFB0BFEDEF8.jpg

Look at the machined surface of this simple electrical box. If this machine was built today this box would be a total flimsy pos and 40 years from now be gong in the dumpster.

72F2327E-3E3A-4841-AB65-10F6442D1997.jpg

E340BC1F-FD9E-4FB4-8B81-3CC288E167D2.jpg

Cable glands with German threads. Who would think one would be so excited by a variety pack of cable glands. Honestly before this project I didn’t even know the proper term for these being “cable glands” I’m a sick waste of a aging human life being this is where I focus so much energy” that’s just my opinion thought Ymir’s May vary as others say.

That’s it for now.

Oh the light bulbs for the lights are a nightmare to find. The seller of the ,aching was kind enough to find them for me when I started running into problem after problem after problem with this machine.

The lights are pretty cool in person if your smitten by such details..

Part of my speed indicator is missing and I think your later model might be better. On the to do list to fix sometime. Did Matt find a source for the light bulbs?
    I’m jealous of your push button start and stops. One boneheaded thing I did restoring mine was to loose those. Had them masked off during painting. Pulled the tape and didn’t notice the buttons were still attached till long after the tape went in the trash.

I'm an enabler. Dave

Oh man that’s heartbreaking joe.

Kinda like my on off switch I let rattle of in transport. Such a bone head move. The machines remain intact and complete then a couple obsessed nuts like us get involved and look what we do “parts missing” on day one

Yes Matt found the lights. I have a link to them. They are led and flutter a wee bit but they are better than nothing and I’m thankful to have them.

That Matt guy can figure “most” anything out. Pretty Impressive really.

Ideally you would drop a machine like this off to a guy like Matt and he would get it running tops. Then you would drop it off to anal retentive guy like me with a blank check to do the finish work. Although I don’t think he would had been as anal retentive or gone to the lengths I did with the oil delivery system but I don’t think many would tbh. Pretty sure he would had kept to the original pump somehow “although both of us couldn’t fire out how to” and or resorted to a full gravity system. Regardless all would get the machine operational. He really is a very smart guy and generous with his knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Part of my speed indicator is missing and I think your later model might be better. On the to do list to fix sometime. Did Matt find a source for the light bulbs?
    I’m jealous of your push button start and stops. One boneheaded thing I did restoring mine was to loose those. Had them masked off during painting. Pulled the tape and didn’t notice the buttons were still attached till long after the tape went in the trash.

I always seem to find myself in the hands of a good enabler..

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'm an enabler. Dave

Patrick also look at the Champion line of compressors made in USA. Installed one at work a few years back for the bus garage and was really impressed by it.
    Pressure lubricated, new, vertical tank, 3 hp, low rpm looks to be a VPL 3-8. Might find one used while you are looking around.
    Also look over their literature about the extended warranty requirements, as it is some very basic things to do with any air compressor to extend the life of it that may not be apparent.
    Quincy is well known and respected, definitely would be nice to own one.
    Good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh;

That Matt guy can figure “most” anything out. Pretty Impressive really.

Ideally you would drop a machine like this off to a guy like Matt and he would get it running tops. Then you would drop it off to anal retentive guy like me with a blank check to do the finish work. Although I don’t think he would had been as anal retentive or gone to the lengths I did with the oil delivery system but I don’t think many would tbh. Pretty sure he would had kept to the original pump somehow “although both of us couldn’t fire out how to” and or resorted to a full gravity system. Regardless all would get the machine operational. He really is a very smart guy and generous with his knowledge.
    Matt helped me figure out a lot on my T23. When I burned up the motor on my Olliver 182 sander he put me in touch with his old school motor shop. It was a odd size frame no longer available. His guy rewound it and changed the voltage from 208 to 240. Then Dave Kumm supplied me with a vintage push button switch for it.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-12-2020 at 8:30 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

My motor guy is in his late 70s and is a magician. I don't know how I will replace him. He always had more work than he could handle but never found anyone with the talent and ambition to take over the business. Too bad as motor guys can actually make a good living. Dave

Funny joe,

In theories of buying the machine from Matt hen his helping me resolve this issue we touched on just about everything vintage machinery related two guys who truely love these old machines could. One being the motor to your 381 and the motor shop way up there in the middle of no where New York.

We have motor shops here in mass but mist don’t want to talk to you. They tend to service large institutions and have no time for small work. Even in the world of Organs and on the restoration end of the business I’m finding the blowers motors are often preserved. That filter box I build a number of weeks ago was for a blower “fan” that was over 6” diameter. The motor that spun it was 15hp. Just to change the bearing, leads and clean it up “no rewind” was $2200. Can you believe that what highway robbery. It really is just so stupid expensive where I live.

Without Matt’s willingness and interest in helping I’d still be trying to figure out what was what..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Matt helped me figure out a lot on my T23. When I burned up the motor on my Olliver 182 sander he put me in touch with his old school motor shop. It was a odd size frame no longer available. His guy rewound it and changed the voltage from 208 to 240. Then Dave Kumm supplied me with a vintage push button switch for it.