It’s funny I have always been told this also. Hence why or partially why my mind steers away from rotary screw.

But oddly enough I’m talking to Quicy the other day. And I preface by saying I was told not to buy one of their compressors by the person helping me as he considered it a pos. And he point blank told me “Quincy” is not the only company that makes a good compressor that may fit your need. Anyway I mentioned about rotary screw and long runs and he told me as a tech that that was horse crap.

Now you know this is just one guy and it’s only ever been some guy telling me they needed long run times and most of the time it’s not like the person is some compressor expert. But you know I’m not questioning you or him just stating that for once I was told it was bs and it happened to be from a guy that should know and wasn’t trying to sell me something.

O would like to know as I totally don’t want to buy a screw to find out what I’ve been told six million times. But if it’s not true I would like a Kaeser..

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
+1 on the long run-time. Anybody looking at rotary screws needs to consider it. The oil has to heat up, so longer run times are required - longer than in the average small shop (commercial or hobby). Low usage just ruins them.

For our distributed instrument air needs we use a lot of paired Atlas-Copco GX5 (5Hp) units, but in addition to the OEM receivers, we use 2 additional receivers (800 gal ea.), and we deep cycle the pressure (250psi OFF / 80psi ON) , all to get decently long run times. ...in the desert, so space is not an issue.