Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Martin T-23

Patrick,
    Per the feeder: could you just mount it to a stout block of wood and clamp it to the shape temporarily?

Hmm,

Probably that’s a great suggestion.

And maybe I’ve even seen a pic here or there like that or maybe it was just a riser block.

Non the less I’ll have to explore that. I gotta run on edge up against the fence for miter locks. Should be fine I bet? I’d love to just buy the comatic but I don’t have $2500 right now to be parting with considering everything. Plus I wonder when it will become hard to get delivers of stuff like this.

My guess is soon?’

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Patrick,
    Per the feeder: could you just mount it to a stout block of wood and clamp it to the shape temporarily?

For powerfeeder: I use mine on my router table too, have a 3/8"x8"x16" piece of sheet metal that I bolt the feeder to and then clamp that piece to the router table using 4 parallel jaw clamps. You can do the same, or if you don't want to re-drill your top, bolt a piece in the existing hols and tap/bolt the feeder to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Son of a bad word for a mother.

You have Kubota!

God dam now I’m really jealous!

I’ve been thinking about buying a forklift and parking it in the driveway. I’d love a skid steer with forks on tracks but I can’t afford it. But many a kubota you my hero. Man crush major..
    Dude, that "big orange power tool" has paid for itself a few times over, helping to manage our not-quite four acres including a lot of landscaping work, being my helper when cutting up fallen trees, clearing the 400' of driveway when there is an increasingly rare instance of snow, loading/unloading, carrying my dust collector bin to "the pile", etc. It's one of only two vehicles I generally "self-maintain", too...(mower is the other). I do not work on our SUVs other than checking tire pressure, etc.

Since I mow with a ZTR, the backhoe stays on the machine pretty much full time so when it's not digging, it's providing 700 lbs of weight on the back to balance whatever is in the front or to improve traction. I will note, however, that my unit (BX-22) doesn't have the lifting capacity to handle tools like you covet...my limit is about 450 lbs or so. I'd have to go to a larger machine to get more lift and that's not going to happen in this lifetime.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can get you the bearing info for my T-21..... unfortunately I have no idea if your T-23 uses the same. I'll check them out tomorrow.

I still have envy but I gotta be able to move big machines lol.

I have a bunch of poured concrete walkway I gotta remove. It would be 123 with the right machine and a dumpster that can take that kind of debris. Instead I’ll be out there with a freaking jack hammer or rock breaker or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dude, that "big orange power tool" has paid for itself a few times over, helping to manage our not-quite four acres including a lot of landscaping work, being my helper when cutting up fallen trees, clearing the 400' of driveway when there is an increasingly rare instance of snow, loading/unloading, carrying my dust collector bin to "the pile", etc. It's one of only two vehicles I generally "self-maintain", too...(mower is the other). I do not work on our SUVs other than checking tire pressure, etc.

Since I mow with a ZTR, the backhoe stays on the machine pretty much full time so when it's not digging, it's providing 700 lbs of weight on the back to balance whatever is in the front or to improve traction. I will note, however, that my unit (BX-22) doesn't have the lifting capacity to handle tools like you covet...my limit is about 450 lbs or so. I'd have to go to a larger machine to get more lift and that's not going to happen in this lifetime.

It’s ok not worth taking the risk of ordering the wrong ones.

I’ll crack it open sometime later this week. The seller was nice enough to walk me through the machine tonight with a voltage meter to figure out why My oil pump is not working and the lights for spindle speed.

So far it was wired for 208.

And a fuse was blown that controls the dc pump and lights.

Fuse in the mail. I’ll check everything then rip the motor out.

Gotta get the thing running though as I’m officially working from home. My van is full of red oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I can get you the bearing info for my T-21..... unfortunately I have no idea if your T-23 uses the same. I'll check them out tomorrow.

I had a “big green power tool” and foolishly sold it, no backhoe but 500lb of concrete required for my steep property, man do i miss having a bucket and forks, but I don’t miss plowing the 8’-10’ of snow we get here in the valley with the bucket, i much prefer the 48” blower on the front of my garden tractor...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I still have envy but I gotta be able to move big machines lol.

I have a bunch of poured concrete walkway I gotta remove. It would be 123 with the right machine and a dumpster that can take that kind of debris. Instead I’ll be out there with a freaking jack hammer or rock breaker or something.
    Fortunately, one can rent all kinds of machinery and that's a good way to get heavy work done without breaking your back as long as you can operate said machine safely and effectively in the available space. If I had to do a big job that my little friend isn't capable of, that's what I'd do. So far, I've been lucky enough not to need to do that. I'm actually about to buy skidding tongs so I can drag all the "worthy" dead ash logs to one place so I can get them milled on-site sometime this summer or fall. I can pull them pretty easily even though they are way too heavy to lift.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok so where dis I leave off.

The pump is official shot. To determine such was major task for a guy who knows nothing about electrify. Thankfully I had the help via phone of someone who knows quite a bit.

I won’t get all into it but trust me the pump was crap and not able to be repaired.

893C5DE4-2D4A-4FCA-9DF9-08A6DD66E25F.jpg

This is the backside of the oil Rez and the crap pump bellow. It’s piston diaphragm pump 24vdc. Manufacture is long gone and nothing to be sourced like it other than fuel pumps that can’t pump oil. The you gotta match whatever flow rate this was and god only knows.

I determined people think they know the flow rate of the oil to the bearings. But Honestly after tearing this whole thing apart it clear to me “people know the return rate” not eh delivery rate. As the lines are clearly restricted and routed in a manner very purposefully to deliver and return a very specific amount of oil as the machine can not handle any amounts of oil. Not even close. It can handle a very small amount of oil before it comes leaking out the bottom of the quill at the spindle.

Go ahead ask me how I know.

The motor bearings screamed like fox killing a cat.

I knew that had to be replaced.

I figured no better time than now as the spindle bearings would also need to be replaced as it became clear to me quickly this oil delivery system had not worked in many moons. I wasn’t gonna do any amount of work to only find out I had to take it all apart to fix something I was to lazy or cheep to fix the Forest time.

AB86E76D-56A4-4B00-AC63-62A7E87A7C29.jpg

D8091F7F-6EE6-4914-9DD0-192875779392.jpg

6A6A68E5-5AFE-4C96-A232-4CB8C1F75E95.jpg

This motor is very heavy as the machine is two speeds.

Then the quill.

One thing nice ain’t Martin is they don’t hang the quill off the tables. As a result the motor mounts on this machine are bolted to the bottom of the quill. As a result to take out the quill the more has to be out and the mounts and everything associated fully taken apart. It’s no big deal really bit it does mean i took the whole machine apart.

Considering I consider it a good thing as I have fully gone over every last nit and blot and made any adjustments to needed to the spindle lock, break, tilt/rise manual oil lines you name it. It’s all done and like new. The only thing not new at this point is the paint.

63B24FD7-9D12-4DB2-BAC0-E4C8C33BE43E.jpg

299852CC-9B8A-4A44-9CED-A60B3562AFEC.jpg

Time to take the quill out. I stole this stick method from Joe Calhoon. Thanks to joe for his thread as it saved my ass on this project. A few other people I had to call on also helped me out in a big way and I owe them all many thanks.

03908B36-763B-4752-B8AD-D5A94E5FF3E0.jpg

C8313840-CAA2-41FF-AD6E-8567C66B0DB8.jpg

Quill has a top and bottom cap that bolt on to capture the spindle and it’s bearings. It’s totally sequenced and a real riddle to get apart. I’ll never forget how moving forward as it was that tricky bit also that simple. I love Martin for that. Keep it simple stupid seems to be how Martin once approached their machines. But imop they also achieved a much higher degree of engineering when it comes to actually using the machines and then their lastability.

A couple pulling it apart. I won’t get it to it to much but if anyone every meds help feel free to hint me down and I’m more than happy to help. Again I have had so many kind people help me through this project. Same on the t75..

3295BF82-759B-49BE-B4B8-2EF932063E54.jpg

And clean waiting on bearings for it and the motor. Very very expensive fancy bearings at that. I like your style Martin even if I gotta pay for it.

A641D768-DA27-4E09-A891-BC2A1FF04FCB.jpg

Next came the hard part. To this point I just knew the oil delivery system didn’t work and wasn’t going to work and that I was gonna have to figure out what was next.

I considered a greased bearing retrofit kit form Martin. The kit is $7k delivered a freer tax and shipping but on a shelf in Germany. With this whole corona thing I didn’t have time to wait nor was I willing to risk it not showing up. I would had gone this route regardless of the $$$ as I was in that big a panic about not working and needing to. Don’t let this make anyone think I was ok with giving up my oil drip bearings as that’s why I purchased the machine. I wasn’t but I had struck a deal with my boss to work from home considering the corona and I wasn’t going back to work. And he would lost his shit after the effort it took to get everything I would need back to my shop then back to his again just to get back to work.

I tried over and over to replace the 24vdc piston diaphragm pump. I was finally able to get one bit after many hang ups and at such a point I had already sourced another solution in my panicked state. I also liked this solution more so the expensive custom piston diaphragm pump “non returnable” sits in my “Martin drawer” in ,y toolbox with other random bits and pieces.

After much searching, dead end anger dead end after dead end. I won’t even get it to how many hours I spent online and on the phone. The number of people I talked to so forth and so on. Seriously I wanted to kill myself and I half mean it. The whole thing was sucking up so much time and the $$ became and continues to be obscene!

Finally I stumbled into a gentleman just out in Springfield mass. They are a lubrications company that mostly seems to serve municipalities. He went in his back room out of the kindness of his heart and came back with a solution. He told me that Hines.ty he didn’t even know he had what he was gonna sell me. That it was something a vendor had left behind with as maple board of it all setup running but that he had not sold any of the product as he was just not familiar enough with it to del it. Bit for my application he thought it might work and it would give him a good opportunity to get hands on acquainted with the product and hence make it easier for him to sell.

So a huge thanks to this guy as I was pretty much almost screwed and gonna have to build a manual gravity fed drip system. I would a been passed off enough to to go push this machine off a dam bridge at such a point so thank god I kept chasing a answer.

Honestly 99.9% of people woulda quite at like hour 40 of hunting out not only a solution but what exactly was wrong. I’m gonna hold close to my chest the hours I have into this at this point.

So the oil.

First we had to determine the appropriate weight oil as Martin won’t tell you. They just say “speacial” Martin oil. Well that oil is also in Germany and can only travel to the USA via a boat.

So goodbye Martin oil and hello Velocite #6. Again many thanks to those whom took the time to help me figure this out.

Crap the photos are in my phone. I’ll be right back gots do some downloading to finish.

93C4CFD7-661E-4AA4-915E-EA5C4A95DD46.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-01-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Then jumping back a bit.

This picture represents everything needed “2k” but the dam piston diaphragm pump to rebuild the original system per martins design.

Attachment 429377

The piston diaphragm pump would literally show up the day after I had another solution in my hands paid in full.

Stupid little bleeping pump..

Attachment 429378

Everything in that first picture is sitting waiting to be returned to McMaster.

Then the solution I opted for. In the end the new system is a pneumatic piston pump that delivers both air and oil to the quill and bearings. The thought “and this is how they do this in modern oil drip/mist systems” is with both air and oil. Both travel though one line “a line within a line” the air cools the oil, the air cleans the oil and the air can if you want depending on setup turn the oil from a drip into a mist.

The whole thing is fully adjustable. The volume of oil delivered can be controlled at the piston pump. The same with regards to the rate of oil delivery. The air can be turned on or off from nothing “it doesn’t need or require it” to a wee bit to full blast.

Pretty nifty but oh boy expense. Well about the same as that other pile of stuff minus the bearings and bearing heater. Oh yeah I purchased a bearing heater as I have replaced enough bearings to know I don’t wanna fight them on this project as I’m already at my wits end.

Attachment 429380

New Rez and pump.

Attachment 429381

I mounted it onnthe back of the machine for a number of reasons. Mostly I wanna keep a eye on the oil in the event it gets dirty and needs changing as the old oil was beyond dirty. I found a good half inch of sludge in the bottom of the original Rez backing up the return line to the pump. wha I was thinking when I purchased this machine it seeing it run with own two eyes I don’t know. I fully know better but I did it anyway....

Attachment 429382
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-02-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Everything feeds and returns to the bottom of the quill. Top hole delivers oil to top bearing via a metal straw u can find back in the quill pictures.

9DB98DC4-EFE6-4459-96FF-1D6415D863FC.jpg

Pump is wired directly into the machine so when you turn the spindle on the oil starts right up. It does so via a transformer that delivers 24v to a 24vdc rectifier. This rectifier also delivers power to the spindle speed lights. I had no idea what any of that meant before all this.

60EDBAF5-166E-4B1D-AB86-3A8F679D871C.jpg

Jumping back, the motor put back together.

04E0682D-B103-411F-A371-F280A1CD7F26.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-02-2020 at 12:20 AM.