Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 1982 Martin T-23

1. Hey Patrick,
    Nice work on both machines. I am looking for a T75 and yours looks great!

Your T23 looks way nicer than mine.
    Greg
    Last edited by GregoryP Lewis; 06-26-2020 at 1:39 PM.

You are right around the upper rpm limit for rubber sealed bearings. It may be a good idea to buy shielded ones instead. You need to do some homework about that. Having pumped oil supplied to the bearings causes me to wonder about the type that should be used even more. Bearings have improved in th last 50 years and what was done at the factory in the day may not be the best choice with todays lubes and bearing materials.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Greg,

Posting these for you cuz you asked about the feeder. I returned your pm, as I said the feeder is really really everything people say they are. I figured it would be as the people whom say it’s so good I know we’ll know. But I regally didn’t expect it to be so significant..

Very nice. Looks good and glad its working out well.

And its craziest thing I think I've ever agreed to ship in a box. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Is that carbon fiber?
    Yea...he detailed that on Instagram and maybe here awhile back and worked hard on it. Subsequently, he bought a nice feeder and did the same...it matches beautifully
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea...he detailed that on Instagram and maybe here awhile back and worked hard on it. Subsequently, he bought a nice feeder and did the same...it matches beautifully
    Awesome. I'm not on the Insta...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If you have questions feel free to ask. I have received so much help from so many. I’m not afraid to ask for help and I find most of the time people that “know” share the same passion as I do and are happy to pass it on.

I’ll start by sharing pictures of your quill and spindle. It’s pretty straight forward but kinda no small task as you have to drop the motor to do it. The motor has a mount that is bolted to the bottom of the quill.

BF46189E-80C8-4D1F-922D-3ECD3788D9AC.jpg

7E4C34FC-569B-4CB6-991B-81ECE94A29BF.jpg

With the motor off you gotta take off the pulley.

70C27B63-144E-4C71-BEED-C12004735BE4.jpg

With the pulley off you gotta get the spindle apart. It’s highly sequential. Beware there is one spacer that looks pressed on but is actually threaded...

B2CF615E-02F9-430A-9E5A-92E23F259FE1.jpg

All busted up..

F89431C0-1AC4-4A5E-BD60-34622661616B.jpg

B2B0709C-C40E-4BFB-B721-74262D3659CB.jpg

You might as well do the motor bearings. They are basic 603C or something. I have a extra full set in my toolbox for both the motor and spindle. The motor bearings were exactly the same as in my T75 so I bet they are the same in your machine. But hot dam the spindle bearings are a whole nother ballgame. I would hope I you know at this point they are a oil drip system. That’s what the pump is about. These bearings are a phenolic or basalite open cage. The oil to be used with them is very specific per Martin and resides in Germany and can only be shipped via a freighter. So it takes weeks to get it. I did tons of research on the bearings and founds that mobile Velocite 6 is the the answer. It’s what I have been running and it’s working great. Best sit down as the whole lot of bearings motor and spindle were like $700. I was silly and purchased four of each in the event anything went wrong or I need them again. The spindle bearings are not so easy to find. Accurate did not have them but was able to get them for me.

Martin sells a greased bearing so called upgrade kit “$7k” and three weeks out minimum.

Now beware and you had better hope to hell your oil pump works. If not that’s a whole nother can of worms. I won’t get into it here unless you need me to. Cost me about $1200 and couple moths of head scratching with a friend driving various pump manufactures And electronic widgets nuts.

If the pump is gone you may need some divine inspiration.

And my suggestion would this be to..

8EB95C8B-0401-4B16-8A80-1CD25C901EDB.jpeg

C281BEF3-10DD-448E-A906-621E6A968700.jpeg

Good luck and remember to have fun. Do it right and you will have no regrets. With the motor and quill dropped it would had been pretty easy to do a full resto in many 40 hrs. But I was in my home shop with no place to sand out 3000 coats of bondo and or shoot autobody paint.

Yes it is lol.. it had a huge crack the length of the bottom. Started with JB weld and that would had been fine but I couldn’t just leave it like that.

CB9EFF3F-810D-4754-988B-8DB94DA9BB03.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Is that carbon fiber?

Erik

Thanks Dave, it was both pretty easy and a total bitch.

I’m not totally happy but I gave up. And as most know It’s pretty hard to get me to quit.

I have since done tons of research. Next time I’ll nail it. And next time will probably be when I restore this machine or take home a t23 tenon table I’m waiting to be able to afford.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Great job on the dust hood. Dave

Warren,

I’d be happy to make you anything any day as your such a gentleman.

But you know I have a feeling your as picky as I am and probably a more capable maker..

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    leave it to Patrick, yes carbon fibre.

When the owner of Koenigsegg wanted carbon fibre wheels he was told it could not be done, so he did it and the same people said how did you do that?

Patrick im still waiting for you to slip up and do something mediocre or what many call fine quality or high end. Guess that wont be happening soon lovely work. When you do more could you make me some wheels for the 2003 Saturn

Attachment 435742
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-26-2020 at 9:17 PM.

Koenigsegg... phoey , kidstufff. C'mon Warren... if you want a set of wheels.....

Bloodhound.

leave it to Patrick, yes carbon fibre.

When the owner of Koenigsegg wanted carbon fibre wheels he was told it could not be done, so he did it and the same people said how did you do that?

Patrick im still waiting for you to slip up and do something mediocre or what many call fine quality or high end. Guess that wont be happening soon lovely work. When you do more could you make me some wheels for the 2003 Saturn

Attachment 435742

Patrick.... in pursuit of absolute!

bit of overkill Mark for the Saturn, maybe the 72 pickup though

You beat me to it Warren, I was gonna say kinda overkill there don’t you think Mark

bit of overkill Mark for the Saturn, maybe the 72 pickup though

Life is about venturing out of the cave and seeing what's out there, how far you can go, what lies beyond.
    Warren, i think they would look good on the 72 pickup.

Patrick, keep on being you... you do it better than anyone i know.